PDA

View Full Version : More ??'s on props, opinions please.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-20-2002, 01:21 PM
OK, I know of 2 guys in my boat running Labbed 26's and strong 69/70 mph GPS.

I run a Labbed 24 Bravo I I can not trim out past 1/4, REV LIMITER! 64-66GPS. The Gaffrig gauges reads exactly 5200 when she pops, she has been that way since we went from not getting past 4800 and had her labbed.
SO, stop by to see the 70 year old guy who educated me last year, I stopped in to try a Merc Lab 26P, he sold it yesterday. :mad:
He mentioned a prop called Power Tech, sit it side by side to a bravo and there is miniscule difference, both stock the back side is thinner etc. He also explained to me why Hydromotives did not work on my double step....
And what a diffuser ring really does, what I had read was wrong, he showed me props off shore guys with through hull use with the ring ground off!

Anyone here ever try one of these Power Techs? I will surf their site in a minute, my guy claims better bow rise than Bravo I's.....
He knows me and sent me away free of charge and no deposit with one, I will test it tomorrow.
My goal someday is to be WOT, trimmed and no Rev Limiter!
Bryan

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 04:33 PM
We have tried them. I they were good - not the best on our boats. they do work well on our outboard bas boats. Funny you should say this Steve Powers will be here either Monday or Tuesday To do some testing. As for Hydromotive not working on your hull, I actually did testing on that prop a year ago. The prop guy needs to test again Things have changed. They also make two different difuser rings for all there props this also is a new ball game. There is now a new player in town mow and have actually blown away the labbed BravoI by 2 MPH with out of the box props. Oh yes this was on both steppd and non stepped hulls. I have seen the results myself. To tell you the truth I was surprised at the total results. The only suggestion I can give is try them all, your particular combo may need sompthing different.

Sam
09-20-2002, 05:19 PM
So Griz, is this new player's name a national secret.... LOL.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Griz, the Hydramotive blew out mid range, but great top end, the feathering the throttles is not my gig.
A friend told me http://www.throttle-up.com/specials.htm had great prop prices, I went to the site and low and behold it mentions THE NEW Power Tech Props....

So after the above I called the manufacture, he said I will likely run out of motor and should try their 25P 4 blade, they were very professional and promised I would love it or they would make me a deal to make me love it! Quite the tech sales guy at that!
I will post the results tomorrow if we test, if we go all the way to the ocean I will run old faithful and test Sunday.
Always great to hear from ya Griz, your student for another day!
Thanks
Bryan

I tested the Hydro's myself, not hear say!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-20-2002, 05:36 PM
From the site, smoke and mirrors but sounds good! LOL

"Mastery in Motion"
The largest selection of stainless steel propellers available on the internet.
PowerTech! Stainless Steel Propellers are cast in one integral piece in a ceramic mold. This process is used by all motor manufacturers as well as a few leading propeller manufacturers. The extra expense is well worth the outlay compared to the cheaper "weld-on blade" process.

Their website only addresses low HP motors, call them for details on HP stuff.
B

Tomahawk
09-21-2002, 08:00 AM
PowerTech, in Shreveport, has been in business since 1986 and I have known Steve Power since about that time. They started out specializing in SS props for small motors. Thus my interest when our "big" motor was 15 hp. They are now a major player and make fine props for anything. We have some very good results in specific applications with the Honda 225 outboard.
Turbo is still the best for me though on my 22 Classic.

BigGrizzly
09-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Bryan, Your hull will perform better with a 4->5 blade. The Hydro props I tested were all 4 blade with big diameter-16+ inches spicificall for high X dimentions and stepped hulls. Up untill the only props that worked well, out of the box, for your application were BravoI no slam intended for the Bravo props, but so far here on several boats, we can always better them. Look at my boat I am over 4 mph faster than any Bravo I tested from 26 to 30 pitch, labbed and std.

Shanghied Again
09-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Griz, I tried the Hydromotive It is terrable on the 26ZX, The problem with that prop is she lifts the rear up, The boat becomes a handful, The way to go is a 26 bravo cut to a 25 pitch. Absolutly. 5200 at 68.5 mph, I have one on my boat. Next is a set of headers and a Mercruiser rebuilt to 500hp. I did have the up to 69, She favors the 68 side.

Shanghied Again
09-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Bryan, Just got back from my buisness trip, I will call you over the weekend.

GeneD
09-21-2002, 08:43 AM
I am so happy to hear that Power Tech is getting the recognition they deserve.
For those that do not know...Power Tech makes a full line of SST clone props. Excellent quality and design. There is a prop to fit your needs in the price you want to pay.
As most of you already know, I am Executive Sales Rep for Throttle-Up Propellers and have enjoyed my employment here immensly. Our prop fitters are the best in the industry, and customer service is unrivaled.
We presently have as our clients 14 race boats, the most important of which is the Donzi F2-93 race boat. We are currently negotiating two more Donzi teams, and watch out folks, there will be some blockbuster news coming from our beloved Donzi factory soon concerning next year's race boat. Stay tuned for info.
Bryan, my opinion is definitely the 4 blade. Whether or not you go to the Power Tech or a Bravo, you are going to be very impressed. Remember that if you have even the most miniscule question, you can count on Throttle-Up to be able to answer it.
When you feel the need for Speed!
Throttle-Up!

fasttrucker
09-21-2002, 09:05 AM
your boat runs way too slow! :( maybe you should look into an exhast system+reprograming your ecu.call az speed+marine at 480-753- 0208.i mean u have the same motor as me.i have a bigger boat,and iam faster,running a 4 blade bravo-1.also have been talking to whipple sc.they now have a top mounted sc for the 502,looks just like the one for the 500hp system according to the sales guy.get this 655-660 hp+748 torge at 5300rpm.$6695 list.my mech says$600-700 to install+new prop.only drawback is the bravo drive may not handle it and blow up. frown

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Thanks GENE, just bolted her on, they don't have a 25 in stock to try so I will play with the 26P.

Truck, remeber my speeds are all GPS, the newer ZX's weigh a bit more too, and we are far from slow in our enviroment, speed is not the issue. Ride and mid range speed etc is, you can't be WOT all the time.
Glad your doing well to.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Just returned from testing, full bag of gas 2 adults, the mid range was a 5 mph increase, 4000 RPMs brought 57.8 consistant on GPS, not to shabby. Loss of MPH on top end, 4600 RPMs I ran out of motor, @ 63.7 GPS.
Fun time though, my old faitful Merc Labbed
Bravo I is already back on for tomorrows big run.
(windy on the bay too! Yee Haw!)

The increase in diameter may call for a 24P in this style prop, I was very impressed with the bow lift from this prop too.
Overall a fun learning experience.
Boat still runs and I didn't loose any gelcoat! A great day on the water in my book!!!!!!!!
Bryan

BigGrizzly
09-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Frank, which Hydro did you try? Did you guys talk to Tom at Hydro about the problem. Like there will be a new player soon it may work better, I will keep in touch. Again if it works best for you use it regardless who makes it!!

fasttrucker
09-21-2002, 08:17 PM
bryan,i dont know if u have read my post about my mech. switching my props without telling me.well just got back from run and he put a spinelli back on instead of the bravo-1.so i lost all of my top end,the prop has good midrange and i had a great day the wife even drove 2900rpm 30mph.ruff water here in the bay also.i tend to like top end speed,but midrange is important. i know u run alot down south with your group.well good luck,hows the ronald reagan aircraft carrier doing?

Shanghied Again
09-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Griz, I tried a 25pitch Hydromotive 4 Blade from my friends Velocity. No matter how I trimmed the rear end of the boat was lifting. Not good with a stepped hull.
Guys before you go out of your mind I tested every prop that was made, The 4 blade Bravo or a good copy of the Bravo is the only prop that works good with a stepped hull boat. We just put a 28 pitch on my Brother in laws 27ZX 502/580hp Procharged and got 77mph out of her not bad, But the boat didn,t like the top end! She ran just like Damn Donzi her rear was all over the place. I told him put the 26 pitch back on and live with the 75mph she handled a lot better. I had my boat out today and in the 80% temp full tank and water 4 people 66mph on mine. To get over 70 in a 26ZX you need more H/P. My brother in laws boat is perfect proof. Before the procharger 502/415hp the boat ran 63mph after 75mph. 12mph more, The saying is for every 10mph you need 100hp more.

BigGrizzly
09-22-2002, 09:12 AM
Good info. Bet you used the Intimitator. Lil Grizz had a special Hydro on his boat at first and liked it but it was too small. He is now running a BravoI 30 untill I get somting better. I hope Dam Donzi wasn't refering to my boat, mine runs straight and true. You are correct the Bravo Like the Marage are both good props, just not the best all the time, kind of like the suggested props from the maker. If they were people wouldn't have to lab finish them. When lab finishing happens it is a different prop. True? Look at HP500's and RoadtripSE and compare them to the stock Marage plus in my trunk-not the same. The guy doing it adds his own experience into it. Example A lab finished prop from Cavanaugh at Merc is totaly different than one from say Throttle up or Ocean Propeller. Any way I'm going try to find a better mouse trap.

Shanghied Again
09-22-2002, 10:30 AM
No Griz, I was refering to the race boat Damn Donzi, She was a 27 ZX and the 500HP was to much for that boat to handle, John Wooley was the owner and he raced F-1 class John is well expierenced with race boats and how they perform he also runs a 36 Skater called Lightning Jacks, He has a natural love for Donzis, But Damn Donzi was a handful. My brother in laws boat is the same hull and acts the same way with the big H/P.

BigGrizzly
09-22-2002, 07:53 PM
Thanks I figured that just wanted you to explain I couldn't remenber all the detales.