PDA

View Full Version : engine hatch coring problem

DOND
01-06-2003, 03:03 PM
I just recored the engine hatch from my 1969 16. I recored with 1/2 balsa core using west epoxy with 403 adhesive and covered with 6oz. glass cloth. I thought it turned out great until I put it on the boat. I guess I put to much weight on the core during curing and it straightened out the hatch too much. Now it does not match the contour of the deck around it. Before I cut off and start over I was hoping that maybe someone has an easier solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Don

MOP
01-06-2003, 03:27 PM
One thing you can try is to use heat lamps, place some shims under the middle and som weight on the outer edges. The trick is not to get it to hot. I lay a candy thermometer on the surface and keep the heat at 150-175 degrees. It will take maybe a day and a half to take shape, once it does make sure you let it sit shimed for acouple of day so it cools and sets back up. I have reshaped may a poppet indent that way.

Christian
01-06-2003, 05:08 PM
hello,
Heres what you can try, it worked for us.
Set up two saw horses place your hatch on the the saw horses and place weight on your hatch in the middle( cinder blocks). We did this on a hot summer day in august and it worked in two days, but we didn't use the west system and had heat on our side. i would use heat as a last resort. good luck! take pics, let us know how you make out.

Christian Del Collo
http://rosebudracing.tripod.com

Ralph Savarese
01-06-2003, 07:29 PM
I had that same problem.
Using a cutting wheel slice the core on the inside with a cutting wheel untill it springs back to shape.
Coat the inside of the door with resin and apply a coating of cloth to cover slices.
Put wax paper over it and apply it to the boat put weight on it to hold shape to boat let harden and presto all done.
Ralph

Jamesbon
01-07-2003, 09:46 AM
I imagine to do it right and have it maintain the original shape, you'll have to either cut the core and mat, or remove everything all together. I made a cradle that matched the contour of the hatch in it's original form, then laid it down on the concrete, then set the hatch in upside down, then removed the core and old mat. It was flimsy at that point, but the cradle kept the hatch in it's correct form. Then simply "glued" mat, core and more mat to it. Worked fine.

maddad
01-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Wasn't someone talking about making repro-hatches recently?What happened with that,anybody hear more about it?

DOND
01-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys for responding with your ideas. I will give them a try starting with the easiest first. I will let you know the results.
Don

DOND
01-21-2003, 12:11 PM
I was able to fix the hatch using mop"s advice.
I put the hatch upside down , layed cinder blocks down the middle. Then added 175 lbs. of dumbell weights on top of the cinder blocks.Positioned wooden block wedges 2 per side. Heated up with a space heater on each side to about 140 degrees. As it warmed up I tapped the blocks inward about 1/8 inch every hour until the radius of the hatch matched the radius of the deck (approx. 39 inches). I then let it cool for 2 days, mounted the hardware and put on the boat. It now fits very well.
Thanks for the advice.
Don

MOP
01-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Glad to hear you did fine, Old Farts experience works.