PDA

View Full Version : MINX VS. CLASSIC

DUCATIF1
04-10-2003, 10:11 PM
There seams to be great interest in Minx. What are differences between Minx and classic. I am still searching for that right boat. Scotts Hornet looks interesting though???

Rodger
04-10-2003, 10:20 PM
In my opinion, a Minx is in the Classic catagory. It has very similar characteristics to the other classic models such as strake location and length, beam, styling, ect. It seems to be a direct decendent of the F22 model.

harbormaster
04-11-2003, 07:49 AM
DUCATIF1,

Let me make a suggestion on buying your first Donzi. Sounds like you have no idea what kind of Donzi you want.

In your last post, you mentioned a Classic, Minx, and Hornet.

My suggestion is that you decide what kind of Donzi you want, THEN look for the best deal.

I think you might be making it more difficult than it needs to be. Don't agonize. Just buy it.

1. First of all where are you going to keep it?
Do you have room for a 21-22 foot boat? If not, can you afford to keep it elsewhere? If not, you need stop looking at 22 Classics, Hornets, and Minxes. Look at an 18 classic.

2. Where will you be doing the majority of your boating? Will you be boating in rough water? If so the 18 is not the boat for you. You can boat in this with an 18 but the fun wears off quickly.

3. Do you want to go boating or work on a boat for 2 years? My suggestion is for your to buy a boat ready to go. I had a 16 project boat at first. After putting pen to paper, I realized that after pumping a lot of cash into the project, that I was still going to have a 1968 16 foot boat. I looked at these boats and saw what they were selling for. I would had spent more that I could have sold it for BEFORE I EVEN GOT IT IN THE WATER. I will not be able to sell my 18 for what I have in it BUT I have been boating in it for 2 years.

4. How new of a boat do you want?
Do you plan on insuring it? Many Insurance companies require a survey before insuring older boats.

5. Can you do your own work? Do you have money to throw at an older boat when you find that it needs a new gas tank, or new transom? I have seen people buy an older boat and watched them throw enough money at it that they could have purchased a newer better boat.(Newer, better, meaning a more modern powerful powertrain with trim etc.)

Minxes are cool because they are rarer. They handle rough water more comfortably than an 18 classic. Thats about it for the Minx.

The comparison would be between the Classic 22 and Minx. Someone else can give you a comparison between a 22 Classic and Minx.

A Hornet handles rough water probably better than a 22 Classic, BUT the Hornet requires more power to make it go fast. It is a heavier boat.

Tell us about where you going to boat and what you would like.

Thats about it for my ramblings.

<small>[ April 11, 2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Barry Phillips
04-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Classic 18, 22, or a Minx, can't go wrong with any of them. I have a Classic 18, fun, fun, fun, feels faster than it really is, although 65/67 mph is not slow and I have dusted my share of big block Checkmates, but I can not pace a 22 in rough water, boat is just to short a lot of air. The 18 dose turn on a dime and the holeshot is instant, did I say fun, fun. fun? There are a lot of used 18s around, easy to store and trail great starter Donzi. I almost purchased a ulta clean Minx several years ago. As I mentioned before I love this boat nice size, a lot of freeboard, great lines. My only quip is most of them are small block / Alfa set ups which gives them a top speed in the 58 / 62 mph range. If you come across a clean one grab it and have fun, you can always upgrade to a big-block / Bravo set up latter on. Most 22 Classics are sold as big blocks so the power is there. Just look for a 454Mag or 502. There were some 454s rated at 300hp stay away, the internals are not as stout as the 454 Mags rated at 375hp. I know you boat around LI so find something that well handle the rough stuff and be happy, you are over thinking this decision.
SO-SLO

DUCATIF1
04-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks for reply. Here is the deal; I have some extra cash and am looking for summer toy. I never owned a boat and am just looking for something different. It could be either a boat or a car. I just got back from Vegas looking at early 930 with rare color combo (was rat with fresh paint). Yes I am all over the place but promise I am serious and do appreciate the input. From someone looking from the outside it just appears the pricing of boats is really all over the place. I have never gone to see a car where someone is willing to drop $5000 off the price. I have checked out several boats and I just can't beleive how the pricing is so negotiable on some and and so outrageous on others. I promise no more postings until I narrow it down. Thanks Brian

Dredgeking
04-11-2003, 01:13 PM
ducati, boats are strange obsessions. you'll know the boat you want when you see it. i try and do as much homework up front as i can. but in the end i buy the boat that just "fits" me. keep looking until the boat stares back at you like a puppy in the pound. if you don't LOVE it on first site you may never love it. good luck.

mattyboy
04-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Duc,
If a boat drops 5k in price it should have been priced 5k lower. Some people think just cause a donzi is old it is a collectible and worth a ton more than it actually is.the less common or rarer boats do usually demand bigger bucks if a boat drops more than 2k I walk away there's a problem there, but that is just me.
decide what you want then go look, and as said before you'll know when a boat is right

Good Luck
Matt

RPD
04-11-2003, 08:53 PM
ducati... having a donzi as your first boat would be wonderful.... nowhere to go from there. But boats are not cars or even motorcycles and a 70 mph first boat may be a good way to die... don't get me wrong, it sounds like you are used to speed and will adapt quickly, but unlike roads or even dirt, water can change right under you.... your experience with speed will serve you well in calm water but you might leave home on a beautiful morning and 2 hrs later be running in 5 foot seas and 50 knot winds....