PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Cap Moisture

RickR
04-10-2003, 06:42 PM
If you have a engine miss 1st time out this year (especially after running a few minutes) suspect moisture in the distributor cap.

After the toy spent all winter under cover, then went thru the spring rains, then the engine got cleaned, it's no wonder there might be some moisture under the hatch :(

If she's missing go ahead and dry the cap out before you ruin a is with carbon tracking or worse flatten a bearing eek!

Dredgeking
04-11-2003, 07:49 AM
mine had been sitting in storage for about 3 years before i bought it. it didn't have moisture, but did have some corrosion. i noticed it missing the 1st time out and figured it was something under the cap.

good reminder rick.

<small>[ April 11, 2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Dredgeking ]</small>

MOP
04-11-2003, 02:29 PM
An old trick to keep your distributer dry during the running season is to drill 2 holes in the bottom for 1/4 tubing take 2 short pieces of tubing put a light flare on them and use Adhesive M to stick it in place now take 1/4 clear tubing "can be any color I just like clear" lightly so it don't get squashed close next to the valve cover breather hose at the carb arrester. Put a little wad of brass wool in the other tube to catch any dirt, when you run you will continually suck fresh air through the distributer. I've done this on quite a few of the lobster guys boats, their distributers seem to wet out a lot more than others I think because they start their day in the wee hours when it is very damp out. In the winter un cap it and bag it with silicone sacks, if you don't care for it properly the advance weight pivots and springs will die and so will your performance.