PDA

View Full Version : ? Depth finders

Darrell
04-08-2003, 05:44 PM
I have a 26ZX, we go to several local lakes and I would like to know the depth of the water. I would like the boards imput on brands and setups. Looking at a Gafrig right now, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks;

Darrell

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-08-2003, 06:31 PM
My 26ZX has the Gaffrig, works well, small clean fit, on the dash, matching bezel etc.
The alarm can be permenantly shut off, tends to be annoying.
Bryan

FASTEDDIE
04-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Make sure you do the "through the hull" transducer.Inside rear puck under engine , floor mount. Only way to go. I did the outside bracket mount and couldn't get high speed readings without stopping and restarting. What a pain in the a%*.Someone told me that all the air under the out side mount forced me to stop to get readings. Of course by the time I stopped, I was already in shallow water.Also if the outside bracket slips up or down,which it does because you can bang it putting your boat on and off your trailer, it catches the water and produces a single water rooster tail which shoots straight up and looks stupid.Hummingbird makes some nice units but their are many to choose from. Just get one the lights up at night.

Scubado
04-08-2003, 06:40 PM
I have the Gaffrig on my boat, it works well and matches my other Gaffrig guages. It's a real easy install if you choose to do it yourself. The through hull transducers work great if you have them placed properly.

MOP
04-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Biggest prob you run into is they don't read at speed, good at cruising speeds. Most any decent named product will do the same job, I like Datamarine, Lowrence, Raytheon, B&G to name a few popular ones. Space is also a consideration, Lowrence for one makes a digital that is the size of a small dash gauge has back light and no complaints that I have heard. Raytheon has a nice square jobby with extra featues. To get an idea of mounting the transducer, I hope one of the guys with the same boat as yours chimes in. Me I like glueing them inside the hull, but that takes a little trial and error using a plastic bag with water in it and of course the transducer to find a good spot where it will shoot through properly. If you choose this method it is best done in DEEP water, most everyone will read in the shallows, but it is nice to know how deep also.

Dr. Dan
04-08-2003, 07:40 PM
:cool: Darrell....We have a transom mounted Hummingbird....I think it is an HD600 model...got it for less than $100 from a local Marina. They (Depth Finders)range from that to high 100's. Ours is very consistent and surprisingly accurate! It can spaz out sometimes but it is very reassuring on the Bay! When we repower I will have it moved into the Engine compartment...and shoot it thru the hull....I am sure it scrubs a hair or 2 off the mph....but most of the time that is a non issue....in reality! :rolleyes: ...I would buy another Hummingbird with out hesitation!...Doc

RickR
04-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Darrell
I find the "In Dash" units inadequate. It is difficult to read numbers while trying to drive.
"In Dash" depthfinder is guage at 10 O'clock from steering hub.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan10gps.jpg

I had both in the 22 but recently I removed the "In Dash" unit and placed a Compass in the hole.

The standard LCD are much easier to read and at a glance you can see if the water is getting shallower or deeper. Mine Hummingbird 100SX is mounted in center of the floor under the dash.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan11dash.jpg

The Hummingbird works well but I plan on upgrading soon to a Lowrance so I can look for Grouper holes while pleasure boating wink

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: RickR ]</small>

Ranman
04-08-2003, 08:48 PM
THe Gaffrig works the best out of all I've seen. I don't know why, but it does. They all get erratic at around 40+. I second the inboard transducer, but placement should be precise on a stepped hull boat as it will not work with aerated water passing underneath. A poor locating job would most likely result in bogus readings at anything other than idle.

Donzigo
04-08-2003, 09:18 PM
I've got a Gaffrig on the Z-33. It works pretty well, except when the air gets underneath; but it recovers fast. It's hard to read at high speeds, and in the bright sunlight, because of the faint LCD, and in the dark, because the red light is very poor. That annoying alarm had to go. So, it's like this. It's a great little gadget, if you don't really need it. The thru-hull installation was a snap. The Gaffrig works well for me, cuzzzz I don't really use it much. It just looks cool..........but then again, ain't boating supposed to be cool? :cool:

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Donzigo ]</small>

tailwind
04-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Interesting post: from our research, we have found that with respect to the depth guages, the Hummingbird digital is the basis for the prettier "Gaffrig" instrument. They are both identical in form shape, function. Further, I would sugest that this is what Gaffrig is all about - buy name brand instruments, and package them with colorfull bezels, etc, put their name on it, and charge everyone accordingly! Accuracy and function remain identical.

For the naysayers, just check out how close the Hummingbird and Gaffrig depth finders are in appearance!

Bets regards,
Randy

Darrell
04-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Tailwind, you may be right, the one I'am looking at looks like the Hummingbird I had on my last boat. I know some of our "GM cleaners" are just re-package products ( WD-40 - glass cleaner etc..)
, However I might pay the diff. to have all Gaffrig guages and bezels. Thanks for all the imput on everything.

Darrell