PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Drives

DonzigoJR
04-08-2003, 03:23 PM
How does everyone feel about the performance and longevity that the Blackhawk drive provides? Has anyone had problems with them, and if so, what kinds of things do you typically come across? How much will they add to your top-end and how do they handle under different conditions? Thank you for any info you can provide.... :D :D

Greg Maier
04-08-2003, 03:34 PM
I think the Blackhawk drive will give 7 or 8 mph over a Bravo I. The two high pitch, counter rotating props have tremendous bite in the water when putting the boat in gear or when reentering the water after being airborne. This puts a lot of stress on the upper gears, which, by the way, are Bravo I gears. Personally, I have never seen a failure other than the upper gears, but others here might have a different story. My Blackhawk is quite a handful at speed. I'm not sure if that is because of the Blackhawk drive, the Blackhawk Rocker Hull, or a combination of the two.

BigGrizzly
04-08-2003, 05:21 PM
If you just swap the drives and not raise the X dimention 3mph at the most. you would be faster with a Imco super shortie instead.

Donzi Blackhawk
04-08-2003, 08:22 PM
What?!?

MOP
04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Was'nt there a post last year about upgraded gear sets for the BH. Found this post may help.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006809;p=1

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

Mark Albers
04-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Junior wink

When considering Donzi Classic's
and weighing the positives and negatives of each year
I would recommend you but more emphasis on the "boats condition"
I must have looked at 10 Classics before I found mine
Some people on the registry said OMC-King Cobras are great, while others snub their noses
My 93 was in beautiful conition
While others with Merc set ups where beat hard

I believe the Black Hawk is going to be a Classic among Classics

I wish I would have found one when I was in the market

Good luck with your search

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)
Temp in FL = 78

harbormaster
04-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Bryants 22 is an awesome boat. He has an almost scary eye to detail. I think you will like it. have him show you the LED cockpit lights.

MOP
04-08-2003, 10:55 PM
100% right on the Black Hawk being the ultimate Classic. How many were made?

BigGrizzly
04-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Maybe I was assumining you were going to put a blackhawk drive on a std classic AKA as swapping drives. If its a boat your looking for I'll go with Mark A opinion on this one. As for the drive itself It is no different than anything else, its care and feeding. As for information on the Blackhawk special edition ask Donziblackhawk (Bryant) he did them,. The origionalbrochure said 40.

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: BigGrizzly ]</small>

Greg Maier
04-08-2003, 11:33 PM
I've heard that they made 40 of the Limited Edition Blackhawks and 20 of the Standard Blackhawks. I think a thread was started about this a while ago and someody at Donzi was researching the answer.

MOP
04-09-2003, 07:28 AM
I like most love any really good looking boat cruisers included. Obviously Classics are my favorite. When you see a Black Hawk on a trailer it is truley awe inspiring and is an investment especialy with the super low production numbers!

<small>[ April 09, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

DonzigoJR
04-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for there knowledge on the BlackHawk subject. I am anxious to experience the BlackHawk myself. Hopefully, I will be as impressed as all of you. Thank you and again if anyone else has anymore info I am greatly appreciative. :cool:

David

DAULEY
04-09-2003, 10:34 PM
I think all le blackhawks we made in 1995 also were numbered on rigth side of tramson i have # 6 its a great boat i think only 40 were made its like flying on water
good luck BOB

TuxedoPk
04-10-2003, 03:38 AM
What was the premium for a Blackhawk over a 22 in '95?

How much is a BlackHawk in excellent condition worth today?

How much would a similar condition Classic 22 be worth today?

It would be interesting to see how much of a market valuation having the Blackhawk brings to the table.

roadtrip se
04-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Dualey, the LE is something very special.

AND, Donzi did build these boats in LE and regular trim over 1995 and 1996.

The 1996 boats actually have running changes to the drive that Mercury made to improve it.

TuxedoPK, you have email. Look forward to visiting with you...

Todd

<small>[ April 10, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: roadtrip se ]</small>