PDA

View Full Version : Electric trailer brakes,,,good or bad???

smoothie
04-02-2003, 08:40 AM
I have surge brakes on my trailer right now but was thinking about putting electric brakes on,I talked to a few trailer builders and they say "not a problem" with fresh water and galvinize,so I was wondering if anybody on the site was using them and if so "how do you like em!!!

JimG
04-02-2003, 09:22 AM
I had electric galvanized drum brakes on my Blackfin's aluminum trailer. Worked like a champ. I just flushed them out real good. I like the ability to activate the brakes manually, separate from the tow vehicle brakes. Works great for drying them out after pulling out of the water.

MOP
04-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Even in salt they are not bad with some extra care, I tapped the holes at the top of the backing plates and made a gravity flush kit for my buddie. I used 1/4 inch clear plastic tubing which teed to each brake housing, I mounted a 3 gallon plastic gas can up just below the winch. I drill the bottom and tapped it for a plastic barb with a fish tank 1/4 air valve when he pulls out he gets all his tie down stuff done and then opens the valve and drives off. Its neat to watch, for about a quarter mile you can see the mist coming out of the wheels. I set that up three years ago the brakes still look pretty good considering all his boating is salt.

BigGrizzly
04-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Personally I like disk braks. I have stainles Tie down on my Criterion and love them

smoothie
04-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys,,,Grizz are you using electric or hydraulic disc brakes?

David Ochs
04-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Do electric disc brakes exsist?

smoothie
04-27-2003, 03:10 PM
Not that I know of,But you never know for sure sometimes :D