PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 Restoration questions / update- Help.

AGUESS
05-30-2001, 07:57 PM
Hi Everyone.

Tax season is over so it is now time to finish my 1966 Classic 18 restoration.

Update: All of the repair work is done. Had to rebuild the transom, stringers, dash, floor and replace all the balsa wood. I also rolled the entire deck with epoxy to fill in all the sun damage cracks. Painted: White deck with red stripe, red sides & transom, white waterline & hull. Everything is new, engine, drive, tank, wiring, etc. Can't wait to finish and get in the water. I hope to get a scanner soon so I can post some before and after pictures. While not as sharp as NJ Scott, I think it has come out great.

Help is needed.

1. I made the gas tank longer. It now comes back under the floor and stops just before the front bulkhead for the "beer" well. In doing this the fuel pickup line was moved below the sight glass, under the floor.

Problem. 1. When I put the deck on back in November, I did not hook up the shut off valve and fuel line. Now I realize that I can't get to it. Live and Learn.

I don't want to pop the deck again, so here is my thought and I want your thoughts also.

I am thinking of cutting the top off the forward "beer well" bulkhead. It looks like all of the support is on the stringers, so I think if I take of about 4 inches, I can attach the cut off valve and fuel line.

What do you think?

2. X dimension. How do you calculate this? What is the stock setup on a 1998 Volvo SX Drive? You all talk about raising it, how much is safe?

I hope to finish putting everything back together by the end of June,so I will be posting lots of questions this month.

As always, I thank you all for your help.

Alex.

[This message has been edited by AGUESS (edited 05-30-2001).]

marcdups
05-30-2001, 08:13 PM
aguess, Hi, I live just down the road in raleigh, where do you run your boat and if you need any help let me know, e-mail m.dupavillon@worldnet.att.net, I have a sweeeeeeeet sixteen and run on falls mostly!!, Marc

AGUESS
05-30-2001, 08:16 PM
I hate when I forget my password, because when I type a long post and get it wrong, my original message is gone when I use the back key. So, I posted hi every one first to see if my password was correct and then had to edit the message.

Sorry Scott, not in the water yet.

Alex.

marcdups
05-30-2001, 08:17 PM
your whole question did not come up at first, i am willing to come and have a look at it and see what we can come up with, Marc

AGUESS
05-30-2001, 08:18 PM
Hi Marc,

I have never run my boat here. I am from Miami and now live in Holly Springs. I was thinking Lake Jordan.

Thanks for the offer to help. I will let you know when I get finished, and if I need help I will email you.

Alex.

marcdups
05-30-2001, 08:25 PM
carefull at Jordan I personally do not know the lake but I would get some local knowledge b4 I ventured there, more people tear things at Jordan than anywhere else, be cautious!!

Jamesbon
05-31-2001, 08:18 AM
Aguess,
Cutting the top of the bulkhead 4" doesn't sound too bad. I would probably do the same, and if the bulkhead was really weakened by this, you could probably reinforce it with additional glass and so on...

I'm not much on Volvo X dimensions, but a search of the registry using "x dimension" may get you started in the right direction. I would think Volvo would be of some assistance as well.

Keep the questions coming, and POST some pics! WE LOVE PICS!

Nate

marcdups
05-31-2001, 08:19 PM
would like to meet you somewhere when you get it all done, would like to compare notes and hang out, Marc

Scott Pearson
06-01-2001, 06:32 AM
Alex,
It was great talking with you the other night. Im glad to hear the boat is coming out great! Any hooooo...I did not put a fuel shut off on my boat. There really isnt to much room for one under the floor and in the motor compartment just does not make sence. If there is a fire...Im getting as far away as I can. Im not worring about shutting the fuel off.

They do make an inline check ball type of shut off. This way if you do have a brake in the line you wont create a suction effect.

(NJ)Scott

AGUESS
06-01-2001, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

Scott, again thanks for all of the help the other night. I am sure I will call again.

Marc when I get back from vacation next week, I will contact you.

I am going to cut the bulk head and not worry about a shut off valve unless someone else has a better idea.

Thanks again.

Alex.

marcdups
06-03-2001, 08:14 PM
Hope you have a fantastic vacation and look forward to hearing from you when you get back.
Marc