PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Speed?

woodsy32
05-29-2001, 09:46 AM
I finally splashed my new 22 classic this past saturday. I ran it for about 1/2 hour before the trim pump died. Anway, its a 454 Mag MPI with a stock 23 pitch prop. What kind of rpm and speed should I be seeing. I was not able to get the motor to rev over 4000 rpm, but the speedo was reading 68-70. I would just like to know what I should be looking for spped & rpm wise. Thanks a bunch!!

Dave

MattM
05-29-2001, 01:47 PM
That speed is probably a little optimistic, 62 or 63 would probably be more realistic. Also your RPM is too low, you need to be to around 4800 to get full power. 4000 RPM with this prop would put you in the mid 50's. So either your speedo or tach or both are off. I think most 22's with stock power are turning 21" props to get there RPMs where they need them. Good luck.

RickR
05-29-2001, 04:32 PM
My 1995 22 Classic runs mid 60s w/454Mag, 350HP, carburated 23 Mirage Plus 4700RPM.

Tom on Lanier's runs ALOT faster http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif (96 w/454?)

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-29-2001).]

BERTRAM BOY
05-29-2001, 05:13 PM
I was on Tom (on Lanier's) boat at the Portofino substitute. With Tom, Madpoodle, Me, and one other person(I think it was Brenden Keefe) we did about 68 on GPS. If I remember correctly, that was at about 4700-4800 RPM.
BERTRAM BOY

RickR
05-29-2001, 05:19 PM
Bertram Boy
Was that with his new Lab finished Renegade 14.25"(?) prop?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 05-29-2001).]

woodsy32
05-29-2001, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys. I knew the speedo was way optimistic. I just don't know about the tach. The marina said the boat did 72 on the speedo today while they were testing the trim pump problem. They did not specify at what rpm. They will get back to me tomorrow. Is the 23 too much prop? Its what came with the Donzi. What can I reasonably look forward to as far as speed wise? I would think that with a "supposed" 385 pshp I should be right around 67-68mph trimmed up. My calculations were inline with what RickR is getting. Maybe I am not getting full throttle? Anyway, sorry to post even more questions. I want to get everything sorted out while I have the dealers undivided attention. Thanks again for all of the advice. Hopefully I will get to one of these Donzi gatherings and meet some of you!!

Dave

woodsy32
05-29-2001, 08:28 PM
Its a Bravo 1, I assume its a 1.5:1 ratio. But I don't know for sure. Thanks again!!
Dave

BERTRAM BOY
05-29-2001, 08:31 PM
Rick,
I'm not sure of the prop he was using. I don't remember him saying he was using a new prop though.
BERTRAM BOY

Tom on Lanier
06-02-2001, 08:32 AM
Woodsy - sounds like your speed is about right but your tach is not right. Most boat tachs are adjustable so they may be used on different applications. Has to do with the number of poles in the alternator I think. Crawl under your dash with a light and look at the back of the tach. There should be a slotted knob. With a small srewdriver, you can push it in slightly and turn the knob to a different setting. It should have been set correctly from the factory but maybe not. If it's not, your tach will not give you the correct rpm. I'm not at home this weekend or I would go look at mine and tell you where it's set. When it's right, you should be getting close to 4800 rpm with the 23" Mirage.
GPS speed should be 65 to 70 someplace.
For reference, my boat is a '96 454 magnum but is carbureted. My personal observation is that the EFI motors often don't run as fast as the carbureted motors. That may start a discussion in itsself! My boat ran the 23" Mirage plus at about 4900 rpm and about 67 mph when light on fuel and load (two people). Then I changed the exhaust system from stock to a Stainless Marine system and a K&N intake and had to start all over on prop testing.
Now the Mirage plus turns 5000rpm and 68mph. However, I was not running the Mirage plus at Sanford or Lake Cumberland. I can hit 70 now, on a good day, while the speedo reads 74 to 75.
Again, sounds like your boat is running fine for the setup you have.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Tim Howland
06-02-2001, 12:06 PM
Tom,

I am running the Stainless exhaust system on my mouse. Have the large Gaffrig flame arrestor sitting atop the Rochester Qauadrabog. Would like to replace the screening on the arrestor with the K & N like you have done. Is the element USCG approved? Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Tim

Tom on Lanier
06-05-2001, 05:10 AM
Tim - yes, K&N says this particular one is Coast Guard approved as a flame arrester. It doesn't say so on the product but they claim it is. You can look at their web site at www.knfilters.com (http://www.knfilters.com) to see their offerings.You can also talk to them by calling 909 826 4000. They are in Riverside, CA. I bought mine from either Jegs or Summit. Can't remember which.
Cheers -

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

BERTRAM BOY
06-05-2001, 05:51 AM
Actually,
My K&N flame arrestor is marked "USCG APPROVED".
BERTRAM BOY