PDA

View Full Version : Jamesbon's motor

Greg
05-29-2001, 08:40 AM
Just returned from a mad dash from northern Ill. To Fla. and back. We left at noon on Fri. and returned home Sun. eve. We checked out the motor in the Ocala Hooter's parking lot, threw it in the back of a mini-van and bolted for home. We started it up yesterday and it sounds wicked! I will be hooking it up to an Alpha SS in an 18'classic. I've heard everything from "You're going to twist that drive right off that boat" to "You can do anything to a smallblock short of supercharging and still run an Alpha with no problems" What do you guys think?

------------------

CDMA
05-29-2001, 10:01 AM
Greg,

That is a nice motor. Nate did a really good job on it. I too have an alpha powered classic however not the desireable supersport. I will tell you that your rig should fly. Paul O ran about 70 with 400 hp stock x dimension that puppy has got to be 450 + hp up 2.5 in the x you should be over 75. However keep in mind that is a lot of power in a 18 classic. At that point you are very close to the running out of hull. If I were you I would make sure to have external steering as well as tabs to give the back end of the boat something to run on. In terms of power for the Alpha that is really pushing it...not that I wouldn't but that SS is a great drive just try not to break the case everything else I have heard is rebuildable. My alpha while not a SS is raised about 2 inches and the difference is incredible ( I have been in 18's both ways). Make sure you run a drive shower and a "drive bottle" with gear lube in the engine compartment. Those little things might just give you the extra safety you need. Also be really gentle getting on plane, no wild holeshots, and make sure you pull off the throttle quick if you jump and even if you do wince as you re-enter. Best of luck and keep us informed...I may be folling your route to a stroker motor in the not to distant future.

Chris

Christian
05-29-2001, 10:52 AM
Greg,
400 is about the limit on a alpha
thats what i hear from the probs that we encounter here.
how hard is it to stick a bravo on it?

Greg
05-29-2001, 03:15 PM
The transom is out right now. I'm going to try and get the wood in and reglass it and add some support to the stringers in the next few weeks. The info I have from Merc. shows that both the Alpha and Bravo use the same transom mount. The only thing is, I have a pretty little just rebuilt Alpha SS sitting on the bench waiting for a beating.

------------------