PDA

View Full Version : OMC Years

jdonohue
05-28-2001, 07:52 AM
I see a lot of refeences to the "OMC years". Are there any problems in particular with these boats?

Thanks for you opinion.

Jack

RickR
05-28-2001, 11:17 AM
OMC got a bad name in the mid 80s because of shifting and gear problems with the Cobra Drive amd folks just wont let it go.

I have owned/own a 90(OMC)w/King Cobra Drive (Cone Clutch) 18 Classic and a 95 (Post OMC) 22 Classic w/Bravo.

In MY opinion the 90 OMC is a better built boat and the King Cobra is a better drive.

But, a few years down the road OMC parts may be difficult to find.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

jdonohue
05-28-2001, 05:05 PM
Thanks Rick: Having looked carefully at a 90/OMC & a 95/Merc 16 recently, I would agree that the '90 seems to have better glass work than the '95. Do you know if the 90 Cobra drive was using Volvo guts by '90? I know Volvo/OMC began a joint venture somewhere along the line but I don't know when.

Thanks again, Jack Donohue
Originally posted by RickR:
OMC got a bad name in the mid 80s because of shifting and gear problems with the Cobra Drive amd folks just wont let it go.

I have owned/own a 90(OMC)w/King Cobra Drive (Cone Clutch) 18 Classic and a 95 (Post OMC) 22 Classic w/Bravo.

In MY opinion the 90 OMC is a better built boat and the King Cobra is a better drive.

But, a few years down the road OMC parts may be difficult to find.

RickR
05-29-2001, 04:36 PM
I think the Cobra Drive is a OMC product. It does not have the cone clutch like the King Cobra.
Most Cobra problems stemmed from the shift cable (recalled) and the angle of the teeth on the dog clutch. And operator error.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

BigGrizzly
05-29-2001, 10:07 PM
I agree that OMC go a bad rap on the lower units. after the fix The biggesr problem was the techs. My neighbor had the lower unit problem 3 times then I adjusted the cables and the problem went away. I just followed the manual.
Randy