PDA

View Full Version : Hull Repair

raritan
05-27-2001, 09:27 PM
I have various nicks, gouges and scrapes on the hull of my 16. I need some advice as to how to repair it. I think it might be more then can be handled with a 29.95 kit. Thanks for the help as always

raritan
05-29-2001, 08:38 AM
Could somebody give me some advice on this?
please

AGUESS
05-29-2001, 09:45 AM
Raritan,

Are you trying to keep the gelcoat, or are you painting the hull?

Len
05-29-2001, 10:16 AM
I think Scott Pearson is the guy to talk to. He seems to have a good handle on the whole plastic/filling/paint thing.

JimG205
05-29-2001, 12:36 PM
Raritan-Whatever you do DON'T put a circular sanding wheel to your problem areas.If you've never done gelcoat or glass work,best get some experienced help or you'll regret you tried to fix the problem areas.good luck!! Jim

digitalMan
05-29-2001, 06:23 PM
Try this site:

http://www.westsystem.com

Not only do they make an excellent product, they publish all kinds of application guides and videos to help you get started. You can usually get their "user manual", which discusses basic techniques and principles, at West Marine for free. The application guides are real cheap and will show you everything you need to know.

No, West Marine and West Systems are not related as far as I know.

raritan
05-29-2001, 06:59 PM
I am interested in keeping the gelcoat w/o paint. These are not large areas. The biggest might be 1"lg by 1/2" wide. West provides epoxy but I didnt see any information on coloring the epoxy. I can by white gelcoat from Ranger Boats here in Arkansas but dont know how to tint it. Again thanks for the help

RickR
05-29-2001, 08:29 PM
For gelcoat repair the $29.95 kit from Evercoat should be all you need.
4oz of polyester gel will go a long way!
Color matching is a bitch though.

PS Make sure you cover the repair with the plastic film or wax paper while it is curing.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

marcdups
05-30-2001, 05:46 PM
raritan,to do a good gel coat match, the best way is to send a chip to GCP in seattle or SPECTRUM also in seattle, they can match the colour as it has probably faded, also ask them to either add wax to the gel or send you some wax with it along with some catalyst and styrene if you plan to spray the gel. GCP's # is 209-781-1162 they are the better company, I will have to find spectrums #, and they have a tech support staff to help with the process. hope this helps, marc

Len
05-30-2001, 07:13 PM
Here it is,... http://www.spectrumcolor.com/