PDA

View Full Version : Curious Cooling

Scubado
05-27-2001, 09:20 PM
Had my boat out this weekend and noticed that the starboard exhaust started steaming before the port side. The temperature guage read a steady 170 degrees. I could also feel a difference when I put my hand on the manifolds. Should I be concerened???? What could cause this??? Possible obstruction in the block or what??

I run a 350 Mag MPI with Alpha Drive in a 2000 model 22ZX.

Thanks for your ideas

jaroot
05-27-2001, 09:56 PM
your thermostat housing has 4 hoses, the two smaller hoses feed the exhaust manifolds. at the outlet for the two smaller hoses from the thermostat housing there are spring loaded plastic balls which will wear and sometimes become sticky, especially after sitting all winter. you can take the hoses off and make sure they are free or you may replace them if there is a groove worn into the ball. If you use the boat a few times they will probably free up.

Donzitester
05-28-2001, 07:52 AM
If could also be time to replace your exaust manifolds. I would at least pull them and check for rust and corrosion.

Scubado
05-28-2001, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas, the manifolds should be in good condition, only 25 hours in fresh water. I've never had the boat in the salt. How often do you have to replace the exhaust manifolds????

RickR
05-28-2001, 02:46 PM
My BBCs (probably the same thermostat housing) flow more at idle on the port side.
Probably the way the water flows into the housing.
Hook her up to a water hose and check the flow at different rpms.
Slightly less at idle does not bother me as long as your getting enough to cool the manifold and exhaust hose.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>