PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic on traderonline

BacDoc
05-25-2001, 08:49 AM
Hi,
Still looking for a nice 22'Classic. Found one on traderonline with supercharged 5.7,Alpha1 for $20k obo. Just thought I would see what everyone here thought of this engine/drive combo.
Thanks,
BacDoc

PaulO
05-25-2001, 09:34 AM
The 22 definately needs power. Depends on how it is supercharged. Would probably be better off with a Roots type or Whipple so that you can boost low end also. The small block needs somthing at low RPMs to get that boat fully loaded up and going. Then you have the concerns with big HP going into an Alpha. I had approx. 400 HP in front of my Alpha with no problems but, I am really easy on the drives. Don't know if I would buy one that way.
PaulO

EricG
05-25-2001, 11:14 AM
I don't know anything about that combination, but I sure would like too!! I hope whomever buys that boat posts, because I've been considering supercharging my 5.7/alpha and I'd love to here how it works...

As far as the alpha.....I think Vagrant is a good one to talk about using big power through them with his 2 454's....

EG

AVickers
05-26-2001, 04:47 PM
I looked at this boat just over a year ago and passed. I ended up buying a 22 w/ a Big Block Magnum of the same year, an '86, for significantly less $$$$$.

The ask for this boat is $20k: too much money, in my opinion, but it's a very interesting, one-owner boat.

Small Block Chevy w/ a B&M Supercharger/Holley Carb setup in front of an Alpha One. Whoever did the deal appears to have known what they were doing. My guess is that it made the horsepower and that she was fast! It also looked really, really impressive in the engine bay. Even now, when I look in at my own Big Block, I picture that big roots blower on the mouse motor. Obviously, it made an impression...

The teak swim deck was fairly well done and, even now, I wish it was on my boat. The engine cover had a funky power hump over the carb/flame arrester and it was slightly cracked -- looks like someone stepped on it. If it were mine I probably would have ended up changing the contour to resemble the way new 18s are. It didn't look BAD, just kind of funky -- maybe I would've gotten used to it.

The trailer was a home built and rather rough. If anyone buys this boat, I have an extra galvanized trailer fit to a 22' Classic that would fit this boat to a "T" and, like the boat, it's here in Austin.

As for condition, the boat was stored inside and under a cover and it was in remarkably good condition. Cosmetically, at the time, it needed nothing but a good dusting.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about driving to Austin to look at a Classic.

BigGrizzly
05-28-2001, 01:57 PM
If you supercharge a 350 nand a Alpha, buy stock in merc. That Alpha will come apart. I don't cara whose supercharger you use the torque qill multiply and kill it. The 350 will twist close to 6,000 rpms. with double the torque. The alpha is fine for stock applications but not big power. How many Alphas have come apart on thei BB. I have played this game before, too much power for the alpha!

Randy