PDA

View Full Version : Zero Cavity and the races at Ft. Meyers

GeneD
05-23-2001, 11:41 PM
Well guys, I got a call from Dr. Gerry Santiago on Wednesday afternoon of last week, telling me that I had to be in Ft. Meyers Thursday morning at 9:30 AM.
Well, since I am the totally willing and ambitious crew member of the Zero Cavity Team, I drove out to Ft. Meyers with a song in my heart.
In case none of you know, I had predicted a first place finish for the new boat.
After getting there, I found a huge RV waiting to serve my every need. It was great! Of course, the old Zero Cavity Cigarette was there too, looking like the bad ass it is. The pit area was the best I have ever seen. They had it in an RV park. Every boat had it's own little private cement pad to park on. Dr. Enrique Ochoa, Throttle Man for the new Zero Cavity race boat had already set up the tents and it was a wonderous sight.
We had great expectations for the race, and really only one boat to beat. Race day had us all excited, and the race didn't let us down as it was neck and neck with the local team, Boxer. But Dr.'s Santiago and Ochoa wouldn't let up and we were leading going into the final turn of the last lap to take the checkered flag when it happened.
Crash and burn!
Going around turn four, the boat hooked and flipped. It took an agonizing 90+ seconds to rescue the crew of the now upside down Zero Cavity.
Dr. Santiago came through unscathed, but Dr. Ochoa had swallowed a lot of seawater and got banged up a bit. He went to the hospital for observation and was released a few hours later none the worse for wear.
The boat however didn't fare as well.
The engine hatch was ripped off, and one cockpit hatch was torn in two. We found out later from one of the divers, that the diver was the one who broke the hatch trying to rescue Dr. Santiago. Who cares about the hatch? Thanks unsung hero!
It was an extremely harrowing experience for everyone and an emotional rollercoaster considering the radio DJ had already announced Zero Cavity as the winner, then 30 seconds later says that the boat is upside down and no helmets could be seen. We were out of our minds with worry. Thank Don only the boat was damaged.
I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the race, and couldn't even tell you who won. It took a good 3 hours to tow the boat back to port and another 2 hours to get it floating and back to the launching ramp.
We managed to regain our wits, and proceeded to enjoy what was left of the weekend. I got to tell you that the race course in Ft. Meyers was the nicest I have ever seen. The way the beach curved around and surrounded the course, with all the spectator boats (at least a 1000+) out there...it was just fabulous.
Saturday night I slept in the Cigarette, what a pleasure, and somehow managed to lock myself in the cabin to everyone's chagrin. At least we got ONE laugh out of the experience.
Next race...Corpus Christi TX. And I expect all Donzi Registry members in the area to attend and visit us in the pits. I just may be able to talk to you for a few minutes if my incredible busy pit schedule allows it.
Let me tell you, crew work is HARD!!!! It is not all fun and games you know!
NOTE: Kent Perroux, contact the Zero Cavity team right away.
Side note to Donzi dudes: Met up with Spitfire Dave at the race, again...we had already met in Daytona. What a great guy! Dave if you are reading this, nice to hang with you, let's do it again!
Got to go, I am so exhausted you wouldn't beleive it. And look at all the posts! It's going to take me a few days just to read them, never mind answering any threads.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

boxy
05-24-2001, 09:01 AM
Geno, glad to hear that Docs S & O are OK.
Was the RV park the one next to the Junkanoo Beach Bar ?
Is the Zero Cavity race team coming to Toronto for the race there in August ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

Forrest
05-24-2001, 09:14 AM
Glad to hear that Gerry and everyone is OK. What's it going to take to rebuild the boat?

Anyway Gene, when you guys are on I-10 passing the Tallahassee exits on your way to Texas, be sure to blow the horn! Better yet, if you make Tallahassee one of your stops for fuel and (or) food, give me a call, and I'm make sure to hook up.

gerry
05-24-2001, 07:19 PM
Again Mr.Gene Drago proved to be a GREAT crew member.I just hope he gets some rest since next week is back to Texas.
Dr.Gerardo Santiago www.zerocavity.com (http://www.zerocavity.com)

roadtrip2
05-24-2001, 09:53 PM
Gene,
Jill and I will be in Corpus for the races. We look forward to the action on the course and in the pits. Hope to shake your hand Gene. Todd

Looped
05-25-2001, 06:53 AM
Gene, Gerry or anyone,
Are you heading up to Lake Winni this year if there is a race this year? I thought that I have seen Z-Cavity up there before at the races.

Good luck Guys!
Craig

BigGrizzly
05-25-2001, 08:49 AM
Glade everone is ok. Go GeneD were proud of you. Being a racer myself I know how important a good pit crew really is.

Randy

Frank Civitano
05-25-2001, 10:03 AM
Gene, I am glad that Gerry is ok, He is a great guy. What you are doing should be commended over and over! I know it feels great to be in the heart of racing. But your job can be hard and sometimes frustrating. The Crew are what makes everything come together. Gene I wish you the best and i know I will be seeing you this year.

------------------
Frank Civitano

boxy
05-25-2001, 10:29 AM
Geno, looking at the schedule on the Doc's web-page, the Mississauga race is August 24-25, which is the same weekend as the 1000 Islands Poker Run, we plan on being at the Poker Run Saturday, then driving to Mississauga Sunday morning for race day. Hope to see you there.
Dr. S - that is one of the better web-pages I have visited in a long time.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

harbormaster
05-28-2001, 10:44 PM
Geno,
I will try to make it to Corpus to hang with you guys. When are the dates?

Scot V
Harbormaster

GeneD
05-29-2001, 06:34 AM
Scott, and y'all...the Corpus Christi race is this weekend. I should be at the pits on Thursday morning sometime.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida