PDA

View Full Version : Am I In Deep Do-Do?

RedDog
08-18-2001, 08:28 PM
About dusk this evening running back from drinks and eats at a local river eatery I hit something submerged at about 55. Didn't think too much about it - done it before and never had a problem other than scrapped primer on the drive. All kept running smooth back to the ramp - about another 5 miles. After hauling Genuine Trouble on to the trailer, I found a hole in botton of the drive cone, about 2 or 3 inches from the leading edge. Hole is about 1/4 inch wide by 1 inch long. Ran a 4 inch twig up the hole to investigate and didn't feel anything or bottom out. No oil residue that I can see yet - will look closer tomorrow morning. Am I hoping for too much - is there a chance that I will be able to just epoxy the hole and all is well - is this just a cavity? I'll check the drive oil in the mornig. OMC King Cobra drive.

Restless sleep tonight ahead

Formula Jr
08-19-2001, 04:28 AM
need photo. You must have hit something with a metal part in it to make a hole as described. There might be little bits of the housing rattling in there tearing up the shaft seal so I'd figure a way to flush it.

Formula Jr
08-19-2001, 08:29 AM
LOL, I guess thats the price of buying someone's baby.

RedDog
08-19-2001, 09:00 AM
I suspect it is just nose cone as well. Drive fluid has no water in it and looks as pretty as when added at the start of the season. Heres the photos -

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts02.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts03.jpg

RickR
08-19-2001, 09:28 AM
Man-o-Man! you've been working on the nose cone! It's NOT a log splitter!

No Problem :D
You just knocked the epoxy lose from the optional low water pickup.
How is the prop?

Some white Marine Tex will fix you right up.
Give me a ring or email if you need help. Make sure you wear a GOOD mask if you use Zinc Chromate :eek:

Is there alot of trash in Ft Nasty from the rain? We have alot on Douglas. But at least we are at full pool.

Sure is a nice cruise down from Knoxvegas at dusk! Are you ready to run it after dark on Booms Day with a couple hundred yahoos. :eek:

RedDog
08-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Yep, after cleaning it up I figured the "holes" were water pick-ups. Thanks for the Mairne-tex suggestion - off to Boater's World. The cone seems to have a little depression that matches my state of mind - Is the Mairne-tex good for reshaping also? Will the fumes help my depression? :rolleyes:

Fortunately the prop was untouched somehow. Water does have some trash, but not too much more than usual.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts04.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts05.jpg

RickR
08-19-2001, 12:31 PM
Follow madpoodle's instructions and let the Marine Tex cure thoroughly before sanding with a very coarse sandpaper (for a mechanical bond)

The larger Marine Tex (8oz?) is better. The catylist is gel which makes it easier to get porportioned correctly.

Try to build it back to the original contour. Water flow is very important over the lower unit.
How about your previous repair?
Did you hit a sandbar at the outer banks? :rolleyes:

RedDog
08-19-2001, 01:50 PM
I bought the smaller with liquid before you posted about the gel. Have it contoured pretty nice - may not have to lay up again but will decide after sanding.

Sand bar times 2 - quite scary but no damage other than lost primer. Running at speed you (I) can lose track of the channel markers pretty easily. Outer Banks Sound is not nice and deep like TN lakes.

Rick - what repair are you referring to? Trim sending unit? If so that will be a winter time project or at winterization. Never really used the indicator anyway - best indicator seemed to be seat of the pants.

RickR
08-20-2001, 10:50 AM
I could see from pics you have repainted bottom of drive before. It needs to be smooth before priming. :D

RedDog
08-20-2001, 03:29 PM
That Marine Tex is great stuff. After sanding the first application it is ALMOST PERFECT - BUT NOT. Will be buttering it up again this evening. Expect to be ready to primer tomorrow evening - if I can keep nonsence like my job out of the way! :D