PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone quick question about putting my boat in slt water???

ralph
08-18-2001, 01:05 AM
Hey everyone Iam new to boating and I have a 16 ft classic 1996.Everyone seams to be concerned when selling a boat if its been in salt water...well Iam planning on running my boat aprox.6 to 8 times a year in slatwater can this hurt the boat or engine in anyway ?????? Iam planning on flushing the engine for about 10 min and washing the boat.. any help would be great thanks.... Ralph Bakersfield Calif..

Formula Jr
08-18-2001, 03:44 AM
Ralph, sorry its late so I didn't look to see if you are freshwater cooled on any previous post, but if you flush and spray down and wipe with WD 40, on the engine, ya'll be fine.
Wax early and often........ resale? - You will have to explain that you religiously flushed it. But any knowedgeable buyer will check it out and can tell.
GOT ZINC?
The cold hard fact is, me as a buyer, given two boats, one freshwater only and another, sometime salt, near same price; I go to the freshwater boat first.
Use it and be happy.
Boats are never an investment of money.......they give you super-life........and only ask that you use them for that end.....A used up boat, well used, is a happy boat.

RickR
08-18-2001, 09:35 AM
Use Corrosion X or another good protectant on the wire connections especially behind the dash.
I caulk the top of my dash insert to prevent water from leaking onto the gauges and switches.
I prefer Corrosion X or CRC 656 to WD 40 on the engine.

If you have a steel trailer wash it after launch and takeout. That should prolong it's life a couple of days :eek:

Voodoocanoe
08-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Also if you have drum brakes on your trailer remove the rubber adjuster cap on the backing plate and flush with fresh water

Forrest
08-18-2001, 02:50 PM
Enjoy your baot and anywhere you want -even in salt water. I agree with RickR, Corrosion-X is best (not cheap by any means), but above all wash everything with fresh water and flush the engine for 20 minutes.