PDA

View Full Version : Best Ignition for the money

TORYSMINX
08-17-2001, 07:54 PM
Well I have put in a purchase order to my engine builder for the MSD billet distributeer, 7al ignition and the blaster coil. Is this the best one for my 383 or is there a better choice. I only want to do this once! I heard it is one of the best and I was wondering if any other board members have had any luck with this setup?

Thank you for all of the great responses this motor is coming together very nice thanks to all of your help!

tory :D

Gearhead99
08-17-2001, 08:30 PM
You won't go wrong with those parts. The Crane unit is a great one too.

Moody Blu'
08-17-2001, 09:52 PM
I have the billet distributor and msd 6t ignition with a rev control unit(7000 rpm chip).
the distributor is awesome, you can change the cam bushing in it and get a full 30 degrees of advance!! you can also change the springs too for a quicker advance.
I wouldnt play with the springs, leave the heavy ones in it for the time being and play with the bushing, as soon as I got mine I toook out the one in it and replaced it with the red one(it has the highest possible advance)
I use an accel coil though.
I have a jacobs but it was arcing through the aluminum so I chose not to use that :rolleyes: . I dont really like the blasters.
Ill say one thing, I wish I could use that jacobs coil, if you can use it go for it mine is beat up.
when I used that jacobs coil I checked the spark and I saw the brightest spark of MY LIFE it was BRIGHT BLUE and covered the whole electrode. INSANE VOLTAGE!!!!
the accel and the like just give a little blue spark, NOT LIKE THE JACOBS, if you can go for that coil, it is the BOMB.
If you dont beleive me go by one and test against others AMAZING DIFFERENCE!!!

I'm not sure but I think one of those msd 7 sseries ignitions cant be used with a certain msd distributor make sure your dist works! and have fun playing with the ignition!!!!

Jamesbon
08-18-2001, 08:56 AM
I believe MSD makes the 6M2 ignition module, which is a marinized version. Your choices sound great, as long as they're "marine" versions of their automotive products.

Rootsy
08-18-2001, 09:26 AM
if nothing else.. USE the MARINE pro billet, it;s more expensive yes, but is 100 bucks worth a fireball, a pile of fiberglass on the water somewhere and possibly a few lives? Only thing i don't like about the 6M2 box is the lack of built in rev limiter... but remember you go marine distributor you need the 6M2 box because of the weathertite plugs, etc etc etc...

Forrest
08-18-2001, 02:34 PM
Yes, I agree. Use the marine version of what ever you go with. Also, don't be dissapointed if you spend a bunch of money for a super-duty ignition system and see no difference in performance what so ever. That goes for both mid-range and top end. A better ignition system is necessary to support engine mods such as more compression, bigger carburation, longer camshaft duration, etc., all of which you may have with your new 383. I like a Crane and Mallory, but wouldn't turn down an MSD system either!

RickR
08-18-2001, 02:49 PM
You can us their automotive box if you send it back to MSD and have it fealed(sp?). They charged me $45 for a MSD6.
They put a epoxy type coating on the inside to waterproof the electronics. :D

Their marine boxes are potted (filled with a black plastic like filler)

The weather pack connections are nice but you can make your own connections with crimp connectors and adhesive lined heatshrink.

The MSD Distributor have some iron in the pickup assembly keep a protectant on it I use Corrosion X.

I agree with Forrest. Don't expect more mid and upper range performance if you already have a electronic capacitive discharge ignition. But the MSD will help keep your plugs from loading up at low RPMs.

BigGrizzly
08-18-2001, 07:56 PM
I use a MSD in my Criterion, a MAlory in my Corsican anr a stock points typr in our 16 footter. all work well so thro the dice. Forrest is right no performance difference, I have swapped ignitions in every boat I own and have never gained any performance. BTW none of my boats are stock.

Randy

Moody Blu'
08-19-2001, 06:56 PM
the 6t that I have ha sbeen sealed with hummice or something, thats the differnece between the msd 6 and the msd 6t(along with a connection for a rev limiter)

nice ignitions may not give you a big performance boost, but they are easy to install and you never realy have to worry about your ignition being the source of a (lack of spark at higher rpms) as long as everything is working properly.
my cheap 2cents :)

Rootsy
08-19-2001, 08:03 PM
you can never assume anything is working correctly until it's tested and proven...

TORYSMINX
08-20-2001, 10:39 PM
I just got the msd 7al box and the pro billet dist, I will tell you guys all how it works out. Thanks! :eek:

RickSE
08-21-2001, 02:51 PM
I like the Mallory Unilite since it's so easy to change the total advance timing, no springs involved. All you do is remove a plate and and adjust the advance cam detents, very simple.