PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX repair

Bryan Tuvell
05-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Well I heard from the dealer today, motor is fine, outdrive failed. I am waiting on the mechanic to give me the full gouge on the repair and turn around time.
Bryan

boldts
05-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Well... I guess that's good news. A drive shouldn't be quite as costly has a new engine. Be glad it's not a Volvo with their Swedish parts. Quite a bit more pricey. Wait I forgot, you have something I don't, A WARRANTY! Good Luck, hope you get her back real soon.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
05-21-2001, 12:37 PM
Thanks Scott, the mechanic said she failed up top and the bottom was on it's way, fluid looked good etc, no water. They faxed everything to the ZCare folks and we should be back on the water in a week or so.
I will take this opportunity to change the boots and bellows at my expense.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-21-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
05-22-2001, 04:24 PM
UPDATE, just so you ZCare owners know how things work... They have a 3rd party come out and take a ton of pictures, post them to a web site, ZCare (Marine Innovations) then downloads the files and make a determination to what they will pay for.
Hopefully Marine Innovations will agree with my Certified Mercruiser Mechanic. I did find it odd that the two times I have called them in the last year I got the same guy on the phone, in fact he remembered me... Am I unforgetable or a one man company?
The Mechanic says they have no choice to replace the top and he ask for a total lower unit according to Merc books under this condition....
I will keep you posted.
Bryan

RickSE
05-23-2001, 10:31 AM
Bryan,
Did you have a drive shower on your drive? You probably mentioned it before but I'm assuming it was an Alpha.

Bryan Tuvell
05-23-2001, 08:24 PM
Rick, no shower, yes Alpha sec gen.
STILL waiting on ZCare to autorize the work. They should have received the data by today. The owner of the dealership hasn't heard back from them. He is hesitant to go ahead and let the repair work begin since this is his first major ZCare claim. They ask for a new top and a complete bolt on new bottom. Great savings in labor but maybe not overall for cost in the big picture.

I had hoped other ZCare guys here with new Donzi's would have had some comment on their service. I have faith, and my faith always delivers, so all should be fine.

I got your emails on the new 22ZX list on the BB, my dealer said if you can get that boat for 47K, buy it and I can't beat it on price if it has an aluminum trailer. I will try to call your dad real soon, I am giving him time on the fact that the wife STILL has interests in a 28ZXO. At the moment her mind is on the new car I bought her.... She still says daily, "I miss our Donzi!" (My buddy STUNG AGAIN seems to be onto something with the Sunsations 25's &28's), I have been reading allot about them, sweet rigs, a bit narrow, but nicely equipped and fast!....)
Oh, thank you for telling your Dad my desires.
Your dad just emailed me and I called him.....
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-23-2001).]

RickSE
05-24-2001, 10:40 AM
Bryan,
You may want to put a shower on your new drive. I made my own last year. It works great and really helps keep the upper half cool. Then again it certainly may have failed for other reasons.

My dad deffinetly wants to get rid of the 22ZX. Unfortunately though it's on a steel Myco trailer. Hopefully you've talked with him about the trailer. He should be able to get you an aluminum Myco at cost or sell you the boat without the trailer. Also, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but ask him to quote you a 28ZXO the way you want it. Good luck, I'll be seeing my dad tomorrow at the lake. Time to take the 33ZX out, yeee haaa!!!!!

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 05-24-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
05-24-2001, 09:01 PM
Rick, I do not even know what that is???? Explain, sorry to sound so uninformed......

UPDATE....
DEALER: still waiting on ZCare to approve repairs.
ZCARE: Still waiting on 3rd party pictures from 3 days ago

Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-25-2001).]

vagrant
05-24-2001, 09:11 PM
hey bryan
drive showers hook from the top of the drive to the fin above the propeller the propeller forces water through the stainlesssteel hose to the upper part of the drive it keeps the bearing cool on top of the drive i have them on mine but i was told unless your running high speeds say inexcess of 75 miles a hour there really not that helpful hope this helps some good luck
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

Bryan Tuvell
05-24-2001, 09:23 PM
VAGRANT, thanks, I was clueless, we are only 65 to 67MPH.

Just frustrated. I will authorize the repair myself $$$$ soon if need be to get my boat back and then deal with Donzi/Zcare in a different manner.

We still hope to make plans soon... what is your schedule like somewhere in 6 to 14 June? Nancy and I will be kid free while my angels are with the grand parents....
Bryan

vagrant
05-24-2001, 09:58 PM
hey bryan
i hope your up and running soon believe me i know how it is to be with out your boat lord knows i've had problems for the past two year s at the beginning of summer knock on wood this is the first year the boat has been running before the month on may the weekend of 8,9,10 would probably be good for me call me 704-756-1915 maybe this weekend if your serious about coming we will see what we can do about accommodations i will explain when you call me
Hopefully donzi will give you a answer soon on the out drive it would be better if you could get a new one and replace the whole thing what exactly happened i know a little about the mechs of the outdrive i had both of
mine replaced the gears are pretty expensive and can be a pain to put back together thats why i say you would be better off with a new one not to knock your mech but those things can be tricky good luck call me soon
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

Bryan Tuvell
05-25-2001, 04:50 PM
UPDATE, pictures came from 3rd party, I called ZCARE and so did our FAVORITE boat builder to follow up on my problem, yes Donzi! Thanks to my friends there that took the time to make a quick phone call on my behalf, I am grateful.

Approval should be at the dealership by close of business today.

Thanks.... Bryan
PS I am not counting chickens just yet, 1, 2, 3,4 !!!! Well kinda....

Bryan Tuvell
05-29-2001, 05:40 PM
UPDATE:
I would like to thank Donzi, the added personal phone call probably helped....
At witts end --- ZCARE: "I did fax it"... DEALER: "We didn't get it".... etc.etc for the last few days...

While on the phone with ZCARE this evening they told me A NEW OUTDRIVE WAS APPROVED and the rep faxed the paperwork while I was on the phone for a third time...
I will drive an hour to the dealer to see it myself tomorrow and confirm the parts order.

The extended warranty system worked great, maybe my lack of patients and bad fax numbers was an addition to the problem, OR, maybe my persistance helped after 2 weeks....

Overall, WHEN this is all over and the new drive is on, again, Donzi's proclaimed warranty has rang true....
Thanks again Donzi....
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
05-30-2001, 02:26 PM
Roadtrip today, visited the dealer today, authorization from ZCARE was there, and they showed me the Mercruiser order for a complete drive. They expect it in by Saturday.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
05-30-2001, 06:06 PM
Mr. Poodle.... thanks for the kind words, I am TRYING to be patient and know the Merc guy is off Saturdays (he owns a boat), so I will settle for next Wednesday in the water in my mind..... I am off 6 to 16 June, boating will be my daily routine.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 05-30-2001).]

DONZIMAN2
06-01-2001, 10:36 AM
Bryan, Glad to hear everything went well with the warranty. As I indicated the dealer we go to has always been awesome at taking care of me. Rick is one sharp mechanic. Two weeks aint to bad. Can't wait for you to get her back in the water for the intercoastal run. Now if we could only get some cooperation with the weather.