PDA

View Full Version : External Hydraulic Steering

96blackhawk502
09-19-2002, 10:12 PM
I was looking at some pictures on this site and noticed that others with 22' classic with hydraulic steering have a hydraulic on each side of the outdrive. My Donzi Blackhawk only has one on the right side of the boat, is it just the company?

Kevin

BacDoc
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM
Kevin

BacDoc
09-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Kevin, I am in the process of installing hydraulic steering on my 22' Classic. From what I've learned (mostly from people on this board)external hydraulic steering is installed on high performance boats for safty. You don't want your steering to break while going 70 mph. From what I can tell you can buy single ram or double ram systems from any company that sells the systems. Double is safer then single but of course more costly. Just my .02 if it helps.
Dan

MOP
09-20-2002, 08:06 AM
I think double ram does nothing more than add cost and complexity. But if one looks a big yachts, commercial applications very very few use dual ram. We are talking vessels with sometimes thousands of horse power. Look in the bilge of any modern 40+ footer, just one ram. I think more important is proper sizing and good qaulity. No matter what you decide external is the best. Remember if just one line pops the whole system is down, always carry fluid and an extra line. One is no better than two from a safty stand point.

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Here is the real story. Single rams are fine and safe. The dual rams help support and add strength to the Gimble. Some of the manufactures play down the dual because of the extra $1,000 approx.cost. The bigger Hyperformnce boats use a tie bar between the lower units this serves a similar purpose. You could use one ram and a tie bare but no one does for that reason. The strength difference is about 15->20%. I installed dual to save my Gimble housing. I have an old TRS drive so for me it makes sense. Would I add a dual ram to your boat? Well I would just because thats the way I do things. In your case, if, you have a full system it may also require a new helm also,

MOP
09-20-2002, 12:00 PM
After reading Big Griz's post and not being a hard head I would go with the dual setup which in thinking about it would take the load off the gimble. Thanks BG!

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 01:18 PM
I did forget to add that dual rams are a push push and pull pull, both sides have fluid in them. If one line goes the system doesn't allow for total failure untill your completly out of fluid. It does let you know sompting is up before total Hell breaks loose. You can bypass the bad ram and go home.

blackhawk
09-23-2002, 11:56 PM
Well, all the safety and performance features were covered. But, we forgot one imortant reason that two rams are superior.

One ram looks cool, two rams look twice as cool! :D

MOP
09-24-2002, 09:41 AM
One more important thought, if the steering feels funny stop the boat and don't turn the wheel. Try to keep the oil out of the bilge and out of the water.