PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Boat race information

harbormaster
05-19-2001, 09:39 AM
I talked to Hugh Hulman, President of Vintage Offshore Classic. He is looking for some donzi's to participate in a vintage boat offshore race.
Boats must be - 1986 and earlier to participate.

Lets see some of you hotshots there!

Check out the information here (http://www.donzi.net/raceinfo.htm)

Forrest
05-19-2001, 07:56 PM
Sounds pretty neat . . . If only the old Chevy van could make it all the way down to Key West pulling my 27 Magnum, which BTW ran great with the new 383s out in the Gulf today. It was windy as hell and 3 to 5 feet - no one and nothing stayed dry! Anyway, I really ought to think about buying a new tow vehicle.

------------------
Forrest

BigGrizzly
05-19-2001, 10:25 PM
Good to hear the magnum is running and engines out of the dining room. Keep us informed.

Randy

harbormaster
05-19-2001, 10:31 PM
I replied to Hugh about the "vintage boat race". Here is a copy of the email.

Hugh,
I put your stuff out there but you will not get many donzis. You excluded them with your 23 foot stipulation.
Don't be surprized with the lack of participation from my large group of classic performance boaters.
Scot VanAlstine
The Donzi Registry

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-19-2001, 10:53 PM
Thank you Scot for posting the information,
I've decided to lower the length requirements to 22'so the 22' classic are more than welcome....

by the way I'am a Donzi owner

Hugh Hulman

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-19-2001, 10:57 PM
Here's is the outline.

VINTAGE OFFSHORE CLASSIC.
Presents

What: A Vintage Offshore Class Boat Race
Boats must be - 1986 and earlier to participate.
Practice/Test – 1 lap.
Event/Race – 2 laps with possibilities of two course days.

Why: “ To Honor the Legends of Offshore Boat Racing “

Therefore ensuring the continued enthusiasm for offshore racing past, present and future, and to also commemorate Don Aronow who was recognized worldwide as the King of Powerboat Racing and the others who followed in his wake.

Who: All passionate enthusiasts of vintage offshore racing who possess the skills to compete in safe semi-competitive conditions.

Details: We have received numerous inquiries from all across the U.S., and are anticipating a twenty-five boat or greater turnout.

We will be conducting safety inspections and drivers meetings. Proof of Insurance will be required to participate.

When: November 7-10, 2001

Where: At the Super Boat International Productions Inc. Offshore Worlds Championships Event, Key West, Florida.

Support: John Carbonell, President, Super Boat International Productions Inc.

Contact
Info: Hugh Hulman – hhulman@hotmail.com - Telephone: 206-768-5158 PST
Mailing Address: in c/o V.O.C. 12501 50th Place South, Seattle, WA 98178

Boat Types: Fountain, Formula, Donzi, Cigarette, Magnum, Apache, (also any other race bred Vee Bottomed boats welcome)

Boats must have at least 260 H.P. and be able to maintain speeds of 50.0 mph in normal water conditions. Required footage of 22’ in length or greater
(If you own a boat outside of these limitations, please inquire with the details)

Awards: This will not be a prize money class, trophies will be awarded for 1st thru 3rd place and one trophy will be awarded for Best of Show.

Fees: SBIPI is currently working on the entrée fees amounts, we want to keep the entrée fees low and donate a portion of the proceeds to a local Key West charity.

It is important that pre-registration be completed by 8/15/01 to ensure placement on the event calendar.

Honorable
Mentions: Don Aronow, Norris House and Bobby Moore – 28’ Donzi (007)
Bob Nordskog – 35’ Cigarette (American Viking II)

Connecting the Past, Present and Future.
Hugh Hulman, President, Vintage Offshore Classic

Scott Pearson
05-20-2001, 08:07 AM
Hugh,
Thats a shame about the pre 86 22's. You wont get a large turnout at all. There wasn't many pre-22's made and not many around.

Guys....I think there scared of the "LITTLE ONES". Don't be afraid...It'll be ok!

Forrest...Sounds like a wild ride, Glade to hear it went well!

(NJ)Scott

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-20-2001, 10:01 AM
Scott,

I own a Z25 1986 APBA / world champion pace model, gray over white with red and yellow trim. 454/432 h.p. BW/TRS with less the ten hours on it.

But, I live in Seattle and will not be able to bring it down, it would take a week to tow it down, or if I drove it I would need to bring to through the Panama canal the sea strainer would be plugged the motor would have ten thousand hours on it and it would cost 4,000.000.00 in gas to make it and that's just one way.

I hope we can get Some Awesome Donzi's to Win place and Show...

Hugh Hulman

BigGrizzly
05-20-2001, 06:09 PM
What are the engine restrictions and safty requirements. How many crew members are necessary.
MP don't count me out yet. Are you good for ballast.

Randy

GEOO
05-20-2001, 08:57 PM
Hugh,

How about the 18 Classic's??? What are the class sizes? How about 18' to 24'???
GEOO

Forrest
05-20-2001, 08:58 PM
Scott, that sounds like a good idea. That's worth tossing around.

I was only able to log about two hours on the engines Saturday since it was so rough out in the Gulf. Never took 'em above 3500 RPM and mostly around 3000. I have a feeling that I may be looking for a pair of 26-pitch Ultra props or either have mine reworked. The 24-pitch Ultras felt like they were loosing bit running at mid speeds in the rough water. I guess that's where four-blade props work best. I wish someone woud figure out how to fit Mirage props to a Volvo propshaft with out changing out the propshaft. The removable hubs useed in the Mirage Plus props don have enough meat on them to be cut for the 17-spline Volvo shaft. I wonder if there is enough material for machining in the hub of an older Mirage solid hub prop . . .

I have K-planes now and I'm still getting use to them. As I was heading out in the St. Marks River to the Gulf with the tabs dropped in a little, I went to pass a 50 some-odd foot offshore sport-fising boat that was kicking off a really big wake. Oh my goodness! I think that if the bow was down another one or two inchess, the old Magnum would have just submarined right on through those waves. As it was, the water just pealed up from the tip of the bow about ten feet up into the air on both sides. It kind of felt like you were going through tunnel of water. Needless to say, no one was asleep after that! Well anyway, I think that I've started to get use to them and they seem to really help all around. Maybe next weekend it will be a little smoother out there and I can get a better feel for everything.

Also, when I pulled back to the marina, some guy leans over the rail of a nice trawler yacht and says, "Hay man, I used to work for those people (Magnum Marine) back in the early seventies." Anyway, he says that he is always on his boat and I'm going to go over there drink a beer with him soon and see what he knows.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-20-2001).]

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-21-2001, 01:32 AM
First,

I will address the 22' footage limitation requirement, Early day sea-racing or what is now called Offshore racing started with boats being no smaller then 23' in footage so setting the limit to 22' is bending the rules of sea-racing, to help the Donzi 22 C owners participate.

Early day Factory racing Donzi's were 23', 25', 26,' and the 18' and 22' classic's were never intending for offshore racing, they were designed for inlet water use.

1) The power must be at least 260 h.p. with running speeds of 50.0 in 4' to 5' foot seas.

2) Driver & One Navigator only in the boat.

3) Tech inspection must be met as follows,

A) VOC/SBI Legend's Race licensing will be re required for the Driver/Navigator.
B) Proof of insurance.
C) Fire suppression system in motor compartment.
C) quick-release fast pull, shut off switch required.

Hugh Hulman VOC

Forrest
05-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Scott, great! Anyone have a RH 26-pitch Ultra?

I installed a set of used, but extra clean 280s that I picked up last year from "Wally" who is regular poster at Offshore Only.com. Basiclly, I traded that 12' mini offshore cat teh I had for the set.

BTW, Wally is suppose to have the mini-cat ready with a new paint scheme, Gaffrig gauges, interior done, motor, etc., for Party Cove at Lake of the Ozarks next weekend. I'm glad to see that someone will make good use of it. All it was doing was killing a spot of grass in my dear mother's backyard!

Here is a picture of the mini-cat the day Wally came to pick it up.
http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/bo/bowtiekid/cat22.JPG

Also Hugh, how does one go about aquiring a VOC/SBI Legend's Race licensing?

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-21-2001).]

GEOO
05-21-2001, 07:10 PM
Hugh, I was reading John Crouse's " Searace". Here's some interesting info:
A 17' Hunt won the around Long Island, (264 miles), in the offshore race in 1959 with 4-5 foot waves.
The famous 17' "Wyn-Mill" a Jim Wynne boat won several offshore races in 1962.
In the 1962 Miami-Nassau Race: Ted Jones 18' cat came in Third only several minutes behind a 25' & 31' Bertrams, " Glass Moppie" & "Blue Moppie".
1962 around Long Island Marathon Jim Wynne won in a 19' Glastron.
Bill Cooper raced a 20 Formula in 1967.

GEOO

PaulO
05-22-2001, 08:56 AM
How about a special class for 21 and under so my 20 Cigarette can run?????
PaulO

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-22-2001, 11:41 AM
GEOO and company.

I talked to John Crouse Friday evening for about an hour on the topic of boat safety and we came to the agreement that the 22'ft mark is the safest to stay with.

Your referencing 1959 and 1962 ? the early days and they had numerous near death situations we do not make this in away dangerous event.

Hugh

Forrest
05-22-2001, 03:47 PM
Scott thanks, let me see if I can find its RH mate - either used or new.

------------------
Forrest

GEOO
05-22-2001, 10:03 PM
HUM!!! I Tried! GEOO

GeneD
05-24-2001, 01:10 AM
You guys are killing me!!!!!!
You know, the man is right about safety. While reading this post, I envisioned myself trying to beat out GEOO, and going skyhigh in the air.
Anyone that has ever been to the races in Key West knows that the water gets really big there.
I tried doing the race course after the big boys went home, and all I did was get myself beat up.
Talk about AirTime! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
I couldn't keep the boat in the water long enough to get any speed.
Now, the unofficial discussion of the outlaw race in the inland waters sounds tempting. But the good ole drag race will keep me entertained for a while. This really does sound like a lot of fun. I will try to make it if it doesn't interfere with our current race schedule.
Hugh, what do you think about a really cool boat show? Or did I read that you were already planning to do that?
Our Donzis are some of the best examples of fine deep V powerboats out there, and we drive them every chance we get! And BTW, the 1986 cutoff wouldn't have anything to do with YOUR 1986 Donzi would it? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

vintageoffshoreclassic
05-24-2001, 10:24 AM
Gene,
(thank you for your comments I was waiting for someone to come up with visual connection).... BUT, and a big BUT.

My Donzi is in Seattle and will not be at the races due to the transport difficulties and the reason the year was set to 1986 and earler is becuase I wanted boats to be from the vintage when Donald Aronow was still alive, do you see the real connection http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif?

We will be addressing the SBI/VOC license and entree fee questions with in the next few weeks.

Hugh Hulman

1986 Z25 donzi
1998 Victory Advantage 27'
1974 Cigrette 28'ss former factory race boat