PDA

View Full Version : More Corsican questions

olredalert
08-15-2001, 09:35 PM
Well!

New 68/9 Corsican is sitting in the driveway,and while it needs stuff its a pretty good old ride.Standard Holman-Moody/Volvo 250 setup.You probobly have seen the pics,and while they make the boat look good,there are other points that balance things somewhat.There are a number of small gouges that are thru the gel-coat,but Im not too worried about them as a resto is in the future.The hull seems to have all its original integrity.Big point:The gas tank seems good!Also has good windshield.Original carb was stolen sometime in the last couple of years.What would the original carb on the 289 H-M have been?A Ford 4-barrel,or a holley?They put a new style Holley back on but didnt finish hooking it up.Also has a manual choke,which I know is not correct.Believe it or not I just noticed that the steering arm is disconnected from the cable.Morse control seems to be frozen in the shift position as well.Is a 351 a bolt in swap as far as the H-M stuff(risers,water-pump,Alt.,belts and pulleys etc.)is concerned?Is a 290 Volvo drive assembly a bolt in swap?Is it a worthwile swap to do?Want the power trim,I think!290 set-ups seem hard to find.Are they?Where should I look?Have never had tabs on an 18.Do you think I need them?Dont want to wear out my welcome.Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to lend!......just.....tired.....ol red!

olredalert
08-16-2001, 05:10 PM
Was told today by Volvo parts outlet that 250 Volvo is bullet-proof,and past personal experiences do sort of lean that way.It seems as if there are some parts if you know where to look,but I plan on keeping this boat in the family for a long time,so am really in a quandry as to whether to go to a complete current(spelled Mercruiser)set-up or stay relativly original with present Volvo set-up.Dont need to set any speed records but would like to be able to plug along at a half-way decent rate.Got to keep up with the rest of you,or at least not get left too far behind!Griz and others,do you think I would be hurting the boat,value-wise,to change to another engine/drive combo?Thanks in advance for any input.......just confused ol red!

Formula Jr
08-16-2001, 06:12 PM
Ol'redalert, normally I'd say update the engine pack, but your boat is so rare that originality could come into play later on down the river. I guess you have to decide if you want a daily runner or a show boat. I'd make sure any modifications were reversable to original condition. But thats just my opinion. I mean, who would have guessed that '69 Superbee's would be selling for 30K in the used car market? .

Philip47
08-16-2001, 06:23 PM
Red, she's so close to stock, keep her that way and enjot it, she's worth more stock and will run 55-58 as is.
Glad I e-mailed you and got out of the middle of the Deal with Sam and got you lined back up with purchasing your Corsican

Phil

BigGrizzly
08-18-2001, 08:52 PM
Concidering the Corsicans came with 302. 351w, 351C and vdrives with 427 fords. it doesn't matter what you put in it . Yes 302, and both 351s share the same bell housing bolt pattern. As for the 290 swap, it took me about 2 days, and well worth it. The transom hole must be releaved about 3/4 inch in two spotts and some new holes drilled.

Randy

olredalert
08-19-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks Randy,

Words from someone who has done it are truly the best!!!!!.......Just......Ol Red!

olredalert
08-20-2001, 07:53 PM
Griz,

Do both versions of the 351 accept the same accessories?Im unsure as to what you are referring to when you say 351C.Cleveland?What were the power differences?Also,what do you think my C-boat has,a 289 or a 302?There is some question as to what year my Corsican is,either 68 or 69.Serial NO.is C-18-C32.What do you think?Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!.....just.....confused.....ol red!

olredalert
08-20-2001, 08:40 PM
Geez Scott,You had to bring that up.El Pescador project is progressing,but going way too slow.John,the guy doing the resto is painfully slow.At least he is doing a really good job.He promised it to me in May,just didnt relate what year!!!!By the way,thanks for the 5 star rating.Pretty neat.At this point I hope to be taking the "El" to AOTH next year!........Ol Red!

olredalert
08-21-2001, 06:55 PM
Went on the Holman-Moody web-site to check out the valve covers mentioned elsewhere,and they are bitchin.They also have what looks like a good dual-plane aluminum four-barrel intake,which would probobly be the smart intake choice.Then I spotted the tri-power intake,and I gotta tell ya,Im a sucker for tri-power.What do you guys think?What about air-cleaners?Think about it.Cruise off the center carb and bruise on all three!The open hatch factor would go a ways towards making up for the lack of a big block as well.Is there a down-side Ive missed?......just.......thoughtful....ol red!

BigGrizzly
08-21-2001, 08:47 PM
The Cleveland motor had big ports better heads stronger crank and rods and has the potential for mor topend power. Windsor parts are mor readially available and cheaper. I love my Cleveland (I have several). Many 302 parts fit. Stay away from the tri-power, running on the center carb is a fallicy in a marine application. Just get a 600 cfm Holley and have done. One ride in mine will prove it.

Formula Jr
08-23-2001, 12:06 AM
Thanks Griz, your post could not have not been more timely as i was looking for one of those tri-manifold things..What'da think about those spider manifolds?

olredalert
08-27-2001, 02:46 PM
Griz,
Have been away at Carlisle Corvette show trying to make a little money to pay for all this foolishness.Appreciate your post about the tri-power.Oh well,at least it saves me from having to dig up the carbs and linkage.My pals up here at Rivers Bend Marina in St.Clair were working on the Corsican while I was gone and I flat didnt believe how much they got done and how little actually was wrong.Should splash by this weekend with a little luck.Now I have to do so much more if I plan to take it to the factory meet(which I do!!!!!!)Please check wanted as I need a couple of small things pretty badly.Thanks.......ol red!