PDA

View Full Version : new here! looking for info on sweet 16's

jb
10-14-2002, 02:27 PM
About to purchase a sweet 16 from the late 60's, not too many around right now. Where can I find some info on these or find some available.
Dont want to pay too much! But want some leverage when dealing.
Thanks...

mattyboy
10-14-2002, 02:43 PM
jb welcome,
the 16 was known as the skisporter up until the 2 +2 seating come about. for info look under model list at the top of the page. should give you everything you need to know about the 16.
try the boats for sale section to see what for sale on the board.
also check out
www.boattraderonline.com (http://www.boattraderonline.com)
www.internetboats.com (http://www.internetboats.com)
good luck on your search
I have had my 16 2 seasons now and love it, but you should now it is a great lake and river boat if your gonna use it in big water an 18 or 22 would be more comfortable

Matt

Rootsy
10-14-2002, 02:54 PM
and also be aware that if you want to modify to go fast fast the 16 will be a handful, possibly discourage you due to stability and the 18 is better all around for control and speeds in excess of 60ish... i have plenty of white knuckles from the 16, never been in a 22 so i can't comment on that... plus the 18 actually gives you room to kinda get yourself inside of the engine compartment to do stuff!

but heck i still love my 16!

Tony
10-14-2002, 08:49 PM
My '67 16' (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) is a blast...easy to trailer and drop in anywhere. Great holeshot, awesome sound, 60 mph of "on-edge" excitement, and a cherry restoration. Of course, if someone offered to trade me even up for an 18 or 22, I'd have to give it some serious thought!

jb
10-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Thanks Guys!
I like the volvo on the back of it, just needs to be cleaned. Really its our 4th boat so we will mostly keep it nice and use in lakes/rivers on occasion. Has the left side drive, will need to get used to that!

Tony
10-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Got any pictures you can post? What Volvo drive does she have? Details on the engine? Condition of the interior, and of the hull surface? How much did you pay for it?

BTW...welcome to the board! Use the search feature for any question you can think of. Likely, it has been discussed. Or post your questions/observations...we are proud of our inclusive and eclectic group of Donzi affectionados! We never (uhh, o.k. rarely) pick on each other.

RH
10-15-2002, 09:04 AM
JB, congrats, you will absolutely love the left hand drive. Welcome to a great group of friends and a wealth of information from this wonderful site. I have been around boats all of my life and have learned more from this site in the past few years than my entire life. It is truly a special place to enjoy you new found treasure.
RH

jb
10-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Its pending another inspection, but looks good so far.
I dont want to post a pic because someone emailed me to not do it; so someone would not buy out from under me.

Thought it would be a learning curve with the left hand throttle.

Interior is mint, hull is near perfect except the last paint job would not put it in show condition. They did just an OK job.

What should I know about that Volvo?
Were there any of these 16's with drive mods for racing?

Thanks all...
also looking for a 33zx!

Tony
10-15-2002, 08:56 PM
The Volvo is often referred to as "bulletproof". Tough and reliable, very long lasting, but not very fast. As far as mods for speed, the inherent nature of the deep vee 16' hull kind of limits you on top end. The fastest 16's that I've heard of are probably Forrest's and Emmo's, upper 60's (pushing 70?) if I am not mistaken. Without enhanced steering this is probably quite a hairy ride, but Forrest can better fill you in on these details. Even approaching 60 mph in my 16 can be a handful...between the prop torque, chine walk, and helmet slop!

Keep us posted...

falcon
10-15-2002, 11:07 PM
just checked internetboats.com and saw a 1990 16 with 350 chevy and trailer for $8900---seems reasonable except it has the omc outdrive---what is the story with this drive---how was the quality for the boat this year--how difficult to convert to a merc?