PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Gold trim

96blackhawk502
09-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Whats the best way to clean water spots off the gold trim on my blackhawk?

Kevin

Looped
09-20-2002, 09:45 AM
I have found that using a product called "Never-Dull" does the best job on cleaning up most metals.

I just so happen to have it right in front of me:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01n-dull.jpg

Craig

McGary911
09-20-2002, 09:51 AM
I second the vote for never dull. I used to use it on my bmx bike when i was 12, and had the shiniest bike around. When i got a boat, i found a can, and it did the same for all the stainless. They changed the color of the can (its blue now) but the stuff inside is the same. Never dull whoops ass.

BigGrizzly
09-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Don't use Never Dul in the Blackhawks trim, its only thin plate and will come off soon enough without it. Soap and water and a soft cloth only. Never dul is good on other metals likr stainless and non plated surfaces. The Donzi engineer involved in that boats design will tell you the same thing

Looped
09-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Well I said most metals :rolleyes:

I guess I'll go back to my corner now... :D

harbormaster
09-20-2002, 07:08 PM
My dad is a Jeweler and he uses household Ammonia to clean his clients gold rings.

McGary911
09-20-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm starting to remember now. Is the trim on the blackhawk 14k plated??? If so, that cant be the best setup in a marine environment....

96blackhawk502
09-20-2002, 10:27 PM

BigGrizzly
09-21-2002, 07:45 AM
Donzi Engineer who was involved and ownes one took all the trim off, because it wears off, and put it in a box then replaced all of it with standard stuff. This is what I would do, and was the plan when I bought one. All that has changed since the Criterion came into my life

Donzi Blackhawk
09-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Hello Everyone,

Here is the scoop. The gold plating is something not easily delt with. Some items could be hard gold plated, ie. exhaust tips, others had to be soft gold plated. This plating process was always done by an outside vendor. We used as little hard gold plating as possible because it did not shine very well. The soft glod plating had a beautiful finish but needed to be cared for properly. No cleaners other than a MILD soap and water solution should be used at any time! Never use a buffing wheel / pad around the gold items, the gold WILL buff off.

Long story short. The soft gold items can be removed and replated. If you are starting to see chrome through the gold, this is most evident on the tops of the engine vents, you are past the point of no return. Time to replate.

Now, for my opinion. I need everyone to cover their mouth and gasp in horror as I say this. I have never been a fan of the gold plating. It never performed to my expectations. In a box under the work bench is a box containing everything that was gold plated. Saved for perpetuity. By the way, the blackhawk looks awesome in stainless. I hope to see everyone in October at the rally.

Bryant