PDA

View Full Version : More resto pics

Jamesbon
07-18-2001, 08:48 AM
Fellas,
Before I trim, bond and glass all the new synthetic gussets and bulkheads in place, do you see any potential problems or have any suggestions?(don't be shy)

My placement of gussets is based on the 22 Classic I saw curing in the mold at Donzi. I may add one additional bulkhead in front of the forward tank bulkhead.

After riding in RickR's 22 Classic, I must stiffen this old beast up, alot. I thought my boat was solid till I rode in his, that thing is built like a rock.

A couple people cautioned me about adding extra weight, but I'll have to dismiss that due to the lightness of the synthetic board, and the additional weight of 4-5 gallons of epoxy not really being that much. Not to mention an extremely stout 509 ci will power her.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=51822503

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=51822504

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=51822506

GeneD
07-18-2001, 09:18 AM
Nate, this is looking great. It really couldn't look better.
You are on your way young man.
But...4-5 gallons of resin ain't gonna cut it though. Just wanna get you used to the thought. Probably closer to 12. I went through 10 on 007. But I did have to repair the front deck. But then, from what I remember, you have to do some too!
Good luck, it looks great!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

MarkG
07-18-2001, 10:34 AM
Nate

Looks like a big improvement!
My 74 doesn't event have the ribs in the engine compartment you previously had. I don't recall seeing these on any other GT's.

I can't tell from the photos if you left the bottom corner off the ribs, but don't forget the drainage holes.

Any details on the 509? How much HP are you planning on, and what top speed are you shooting for? I was considering a upgrade to a big block, or possibly a blower.

MarkG >=^;>

RickR
07-18-2001, 11:38 AM
You've been busy! She's looking GOOD http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

I agree with Mark, Big drains and lots of them.

If you're going to seal the gas tank compartment a piece or 2" or 3" pvc cut in half and glassed over would drain the bow area to the stern. I saw that trick on "Ship Shape"

Hard to tell from the pics but are the gussetts level so they can reinforce the deck? I say level, but the deck needs a small crown so water won't puddle.

Is the hull braced so when you start glassing everything will be straight?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Forrest
07-18-2001, 04:02 PM
Man, just looking at those pictures make me itch! Nate, great job, but I don't envy you doing all that glass work in this hot weather.

------------------
Forrest

Greg
07-18-2001, 06:41 PM
Nice work Nate, I have been wondering how you are coming along. You are further than I am, my real job keeps dragging me out of the garage. I was wondering what type of material are you using for the reinforcement?

------------------

GEOO
07-18-2001, 08:07 PM
Nate, Looks great. I can wait till you get her back together!!! What's the engine plan??

Make sure all new glass only touches fully fresh sanded areas. Looks great. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 07-18-2001).]

Scott Pearson
07-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Nate,
Just a thought...The bracing that was already there in the motor compartment. If you cut that old stuff out and then added the bracing from the stringers up to where the old bracing was it would look alot cleaner and be alot stronger. Its going to look to busy back there with the ones on the sides and the ones you are adding. Just make them all one and it will really clean that area up.

Just a thought.... Anyway it looks like its coming along great!

(NJ)Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Pearson (edited 07-18-2001).]

Greg
07-18-2001, 09:52 PM
Hey Scott, I was wondering about all that bracing in your boat, is all that original?Mine has nothing from the outside of the stringers to the chine. I was wondering what the original spacing was on the supports from the transom forward. I don't want to put in too much and cause a failure in a weaker spot. Thanks. BTW, Nice Job!

------------------

Scott Pearson
07-19-2001, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that was all added at some point or another. I added some bracing to my 68 18 and it worked out good. You just have to be careful how you do it and where you place it. This way everything fits back together right and you dont distort the hull in anyway.

(NJ)Scott

Jamesbon
07-24-2001, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Gene!

Markg, yeah I still have to whack the bottom corner off of the ribs for drainage, I'll take care of that during the final shaping of each rib prior to "gluing" them in. The 509 has JE forged pop up pistons designed to achieve 10.01:1 CR with 119 cc heads, and RADICAL hydraulic roller cam. Haven't ordered heads yet, but will most likely go with Brodix, Dart or Merlin aluminum CNC heads. Will also use a Dart or Merlin aluminum marine intake with bronz crossover. Decided against fresh water cooling to reduce the expense and pain in the a*s associated with setting it up. I'll just religiously flush her while she's still warm.

Thanks for the "cut in half" pvc trick Rick. I planned on using a full round piece, but the cut in half one would drain MUCH better. The hull sits on an E-Z loader trailer with a bunch of rollers so she's supported well. When I sight down the bottom, she's straight with a slight rocker in the last few feet of each side.

Yeah, it's hot as hell, sweaty, itchy and now with the rain, even more itchy from those damn mosquitos. Guess it's time to invest in some Off. But you know what, I don't seem to mind it for some reason. The only time it sucks is when I lay in bed and itch from the glass.....but it's gone in a day or two.

Madpoodle, Definetly on the rigging tubes. I was thinking 4-5" pvc glassed to the underside of the deck?? Keeping everything up high...?? I'm hoping for October...If I'd get my ass in gear every day, maybe I could finish her for Eufala. We'll see...I get lazy sometimes. (Lazy = hang with the boss, yard work, go on neighbors boat, party with the cronies, stay up late-sleep in, post to the Donzi Registry :D: )

Greg,
I'm using Thermo Lite Board manufactured by Space Age Materials. 5/8 or 3/4 thick....I don't recall. I bought 2 4x8 sheets for the gussets, bulkheads and transom. By the way, I think I used 5.7" rods in the 388, but would measure to be on the safe side. How's you rig coming along? We'd love to see some pics!!

Thanks GEOO! (engine plans above) Gotta get the transom done, so Rik Wimp can start the extension box.

Thaks Scott, I may tear out the old and put uniform gussets in place....we'll see how I feel in the next couple nights when I resume work on my beast.

Again, Thank all of you for your support, I appreciate everything you post. Without this board, my Donzi would probably not be going through this transformation. (at least not yet ;) )

RickR
07-24-2001, 07:50 PM
Nate
Be careful with insect repellent around gelcoat.It will melt it :eek: