PDA

View Full Version : Restoration pics

Jamesbon
08-14-2001, 09:14 PM
Okay Fellas,
It's going much slower than anticipated, but somehow or another I seem to inch along. Tonight I FINALLY finished glassing in gussets on the outside of the stringers. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll finish prepping the transom, attach formica to the outside of the hull and start the transom re-build. Question? I'm using epoxy resin. Should I not use this for the outermost layer of the transom? You know, the layer I roll on to the formica which will eventually serve as the outermost layer of the boat? I plan to finish the outside of the hull and deck with gel-coat, and vaguely recall hearing that gel coat doesn't bond real well with epoxy. Your advice please...

If anyone wants my rusty one piece motor mount, send me $30 and I'll ship for free. I'm pulling it tomorrow. It's set up for 33" stringers...

Once the transom's in, I'll call in the thickness to Arneson who'll start fabricating the extension box. While that's being done, I think I'll send the hull to the plastic beader guy who'll strip the rest of the white paint inside, and fire off that nasty bottom paint.

Oh yeah, I CAN'T WAIT for the EUFALA get together. Since I'm "mooching" rides, I'll bring tools and plenty of boat sodas!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

By the way, one of our very good friends here on the registry has been EXTREMELY helpful to me. I'd like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU and I'll see you tomorrow......You know who you are...

As always, don't be shy. Post your thoughts!!!!!

Nathan

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nschlae1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nschlae2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nschlae3.jpg

HP 600SC
08-14-2001, 09:47 PM
Wow :eek: Nate, Looks like your doing a great job! I have gel-coated over epoxy before with no problem, however that was not on a fiberglass surface it has been on abs
plastic (on jet ski's). Typical fiberglass
resins won't stick to these types of plastic
hull's. I would for sure go to fiberglass
coatings on 28th street and ask them specifically. I can also ask some buddys at the plant. Hang in there man.....you will
see the light at the end of the tunnel soon :) .

Last Tango
08-14-2001, 10:22 PM
Nate,
It would appear that I'm arriving solo for the Eufaula event, but with "Last Tango" in tow. You can ride with me when your tired of all the SLOW boats.
Mark :cool:

GEOO
08-15-2001, 07:38 AM
Nate, Look's great!!
I rememeber reading some where that Polyester resin (ie. Gelcoat) will not stick to epoxy resin. Maybe just paint the transom over the new epoxy and old gelcoat?? I wouldn't play with layering Epoxy & Polyester mat. GEOO

Greg
08-15-2001, 08:24 AM
Hey Nate, Looking good. You're much further along than I am. Unfortunately I have come across some delamination in the chine and keel areas. I have an experienced fiberglass man coming over next week and helping out for a while. That should get the reconstruction back on track. Slow going for now. Greg

jwright
08-15-2001, 11:53 AM
I always like to see your pics!

I actually have a good deal of experence with epoxy and polyester but I will save you the boring details!!...

The deal is this....you can gel over the epoxy IF it is fully cured AND is sanded. You will have a problem if you use two resins to laminate. Then you will be lmainating epoxy onto polyester. Unless you sand the first layer of glass so the epxoy will stick the epoxy will not stick. Polyester resin is "air inhibited" so the top few mils of resin will not cure because they are in contact with air. Call Gougeon Bros. if you need more info.
I think their is a lot of confusion out there on this topic. Let me know if I can help out any more!
Gotta keep those GT-21's out there!

HP 600SC
08-15-2001, 07:24 PM
LastTango......sounds like a challenge to me,
Bring your Title with you! :p

Jamesbon
08-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks Donzitester!

Mark,
Thanks for the offer. We'll set up "homebase" in my buddy's boat and hop around from there. Oh, if it rains, I call "shotgun" in your rig :p

MP,
You got it!

GEOO,
Thanks for the advice. After all, you're the one who put this whole "Donzi/Arneson" thing in my head :D

Greg,
Thanks for the input! Keep your chin up, you'll get there. At least, you have a bad ass 388 !!!!!!!!!!!

Jwright,
Thanks again. I may take you up on the "advice" thing. Also, glad you enjoy the pics!! I love everyone's pics as well!! SO EVERYONE POST MORE!!!!!

I'll play the "bookie" role if you wanna place "pink slip" bets :eek:

Thanks for you input fellas, it keeps me motivated, especially as I sit here with a Crown & Coke in one hand and a Logitech mouse in the other. ;)

HP 600SC
08-15-2001, 08:27 PM
Nate, Thank you! and for posting those photos. You gotta teach me how to do that directly on this site. You are the man! ;)

RickR
08-15-2001, 08:31 PM
Lookin Good :D
See you soon ;)