PDA

View Full Version : NYC Brunch Run 10/13 Story

GEOO
10-13-2002, 04:18 PM
I was working all week trying to replace the fuel pump, fuel tank pick-up, fuel lines, filter etc. so I could do the NPBA "Brunch Run". The run goes from Manhasset Bay, (north shore of Long Island) down the east river to the Statue of Liberty then up the Hudson and across the Harlem River. A nice calm area to run my Donzi. I woke up this morning and it was a rainy, drizzle type of day . I figured what the heck lets go, I haven't gone for a ride since Lake George. I launched the boat, checked the fuel pressure every thing was fine, no leaks. Put on my Life Line Jacket, foul weather gear, goggles and clipped in to the kill switch. Cruised over to Manassett Bay in 3-4 foot waves; not very fun. Then I meet up with several boats waiting to start the run. We started in the sound cruising at 50-60, a little calmer then my ride over, but still 2 footers and boat wakes. I was at the back of the pack with a 37 Outer Limits, 31 Sonic, 33 Fountain, Progression, 32 Skater with 300X's, a Power Play and several other Boat's joined in. I was trying to pick a spot so I wouldn't get in the way; find my own rumb line. I had the tabs down a little and the drive at mid trim. By now we were getting closer to the east River, approaching the Throgs Neck Bridge, it was starting to calm down. A few of the guys started to throttle up, I saw the Outerlimits take off then the Skater, the others followed, By the time we went under the bridge we were all crusing in the 80's, some faster. The water was calm and no boat wakes, I trimmed up a little more, picked up the tabs and I was cruising in high 80's low 90's; caught up to a few boats and pasted some on the way. I was with six to seven boats abreast. Oil pressure was good, water temp steady, engine running around 5700 rpm's. The adrenaline was pumping pretty hard by now, I had to keep my cool and watch the water. Here, I was in the middle of bunch of 30-40 foot Hot Boats, I was in heaven. The only Donzi in the group. The conditions were perfect, so I put her to the pins, the wind started to hurt my ears. The small block was humming, could not look back, I had to concentrate ahead. Glaced at the speedo going around 95, then I trimmed up a little more the boat accelerated, But got a little loose and squirely, back off and got back on, played with the trim a little more found that sweet spot again and aired out the hull; this time I could stay on the throttle for a good 10-15 seconds run, doesn't sound long, but it felt like several minutes. We passed under the Whitestone Bridge and La Guardia Airport was in sight. I backed off to 80 mile per hour cruise to look around. The Outer Limits was off the my starboard and 200-300 yards back, the Skater was of my port and 100 yrds back. They were all way behind me!!! Holy SH!!. :D :D
I had tears in my eyes, It was awesome...
First time I ran the boat agaist other boat's in calm water.

Then I got on the throttle again and engine sounded a little funny, hum, lost some power too, only could run in the 80's. I backed her down openned the hatch, the damn blower belt fell off. It took me 15 minutes to put it back on but broke the power steering belt in the process. An inflatable CG boat stopped by to see if I was OK. Then he asked if I was with those speeded boats that went by. YES, Then he said they were doing over 85 and the speed limit was 35. He waited a few seconds then he told me he was only joking. Cruised home at 30 in 3-4 foot chop, not fun, but I still had the smile plastered to my face.

Just a little story about my day, hope you enjoyed. I did add a little lib, but wanted to make it interesting. wink What a day!!!

Griz.. Why does my belt fall off? Too loose?

Chris, how's that deck??

bverd
10-13-2002, 06:51 PM
I wanna be like Geoo... --bverd

Bug
10-13-2002, 07:09 PM
GEOO
Thanks for sharing that story.It must of felt great being out in front of the "BIG BOYS".

Ken

SHARKEYMARINE
10-13-2002, 07:49 PM
GEOO, Brings back the memories of the Poker Run on the Hudson... What a feeling that is huh? All that HP around you when everyone takes off. Sorry to hear about the slow ride back... :( http://www.fastboats.info/photopost/data/503/34nyc_run_8-thumb.jpg

smoothie
10-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Way to go GEOO cool! I bet they are still sitting at the bar trying to figure out what paddled their butts :D BTW what your RPM at WOT?

Dr. Dan
10-13-2002, 08:25 PM
:D GEOO that is an awesome story...hey got a chance to watch your video this weekend at Scott's house while dropping off parts for Cliff...just a thought, but in the video in the "Dyno Lab shots...you can see the belt get loose as it thottles up and then smoothes out at top rpm's, could this be what's happening on your motor when you drive it? Maybe an alignment/adjustment would solve it I have no idea? I just remember how loose that belt looked while we watched that section of the video...BTW...Great Video... :cool: ...Doc

KMLFAMILY
10-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Sound"s like an awesome day to me too.The funny thing is i was watching qualifying for a drag race down in Texas on t.v. yesterday.Big Daddy (Don Garlits) at the age of 70 was trying to qualify and the blower belt kept flying off.After the 3rd attempt failed. He was asked what the problem was? He replied " I don"t build the F#@*KING blower belt"s". So i guess this put"s you in the league with the best !

harbormaster
10-13-2002, 09:17 PM
George,

I felt like I was riding with you. You make us proud!

Scott Pearson
10-13-2002, 09:17 PM
George....Great story. I bet they felt like a bunch of smacked a**'s. Man, I bet that was some sight. There was alot of tails between some leg's.

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
10-14-2002, 12:17 AM
Geee George...break the boat right before I go kick some OB A$$ next weekend....How am I going to do it w/o the blower....

Chris

Some friend you are wink wink wink wink wink

GEOO
10-14-2002, 06:00 AM
Sharky,
I was thinking of doing the Poker Run in the spring. Are you going?

Dan,
Good point. I did tighten the belt a little after the dyno pulls. I like to be carefull not to over tighten it. I like it when you can use a guage to measure the tightness of something, ie, torque wrench. Video's are great you can go back and see thing you never would normally pick up.

Scott,
I think you right it is when I get off the throttle after a few seconds at WOT that the belt falls off. I'll try to tighten it a little more. It's a ribbed belt. Chris took the video of my boat running, you should see the unedited version eek! eek!

Chris,
I put the belt back on while in the east river but brike the power steering belt in the process and the alternator belt got twisted up, so I headed home. I have extra belts.

I wish I had my video head cam on!!! and/or knew a bar fly at the brunch site...Were's fast Eddie you need him.

Thanks!!!

Bad-Tat
10-14-2002, 06:38 AM
Geoo,
Give Craig at BDS a call and talk to him about your belt problem. He probably has a solution.

mattyboy
10-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Geoo.
Great story way to go,this will help me get thru monday hangover and all.

Matt

KMLFAMILY
10-14-2002, 09:15 AM
Another idea. Does the set-up have a pop off valve and setting"s correct? Maybe when the throttle plates close the excessive boost is being trapped and slowing pulley down.

GEOO
10-14-2002, 03:02 PM
I called Procharger. They said to tighten the belt more. He also said they install bypass valves on their car kits, so when you get off the throttle quickly the air can be escape. I told him I might go from 6500rpms to 4000 rpms quickly and that I only run 3.8 psi of boost. He said I wouldn't need a bypass with such low boost??? I don't know maybe the boat slows quickly and pulls the engine rpms down quickly too?? I'll try tightening the belt more first.