PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to tow another boat?

HyperDonzi
10-13-2002, 11:07 AM
What is the least stressful (on the transom) way to tow another boat? Through the trailer eyes on the back? The ski eye?
Just wondering after towing a sailboater in last night. And weather does have a big effect on the boat!! 6 mph faster in 40 deg less heat and a lot less humidity!

Donzigo
10-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Advice: Don't tow anyone you don't know, unless it's a real life or death emergency!

Last Tango,is the ONLY person we have towed in twenty years. We have stopped and offered assistance many times, and have called towing companies for the captain, and have taken people to shore; but, WE DON'T TOW UNKNOWN BOATS. If something happens, you go from being a "NICE GUY" to being a "VICTIM".

Read your insurance package. In some states, (I think in Florida, where I live), it cleary states that your insurance is "null and void" while towing......AND, I think the towing boat is responsible for ANYTHING, including possible injuries or damage to the other boat, while towing.

This is a subject I would really appreciate some informed replys. Does anybody really know what the law states? What is the liability?

HyperDonzi
10-13-2002, 11:34 AM
I know that while towing you have the right away over any other boat including sailboats.

HP 600SC
10-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Not always true....you do not have the right of way over any other vessel....especially RAM'S,
NUC'S or impeading a narrow channel.

HyperDonzi
10-13-2002, 04:44 PM
RAMS?? this is on a lake with other pleasure boaters, pwc, and sailors

Bug
10-13-2002, 07:22 PM
It would depend on the distance and weight of the
other boat.Short distance light boat, I would use
the rear lift ring, longer distance I would set
up a line on back transom eyes then my tow line
tied to the center of that line. Just my 2c.

Ken