PDA

View Full Version : Merc TRS Drive

cummins
12-02-2001, 08:47 PM
Anyone having any experience with these drives I would appreciate your thoughts.
R the Merc TRS drives reliable? Can they be fixed @ reasonable prices? And is it easy to convert to Bravo or Alpha drives. 350's would drive them if that were any help.
Thanx,
CUMMINS
:D

CDMA
12-02-2001, 09:17 PM
I do not have one but some the commonly accepted arguments are:

Pro:
Drive is REALLY strong( stronger than a bravo)
Pretty cheap
Shifts nice with internal tranny

Cons:
Heavy
Internal Tranny places engine forward in compartment, could create possible space considerations
Merc trans gives out before the drive does but with 350's shouldn't even sweat. Good news is that to swap the Merc trans to a borg warner isn't to hard

Forrest, Big Griz and Madpoodle are the guys to ask

Chris

P.S the conversion to the Bravo requires a complete transom rebuild. There is talk of an adapter plate on Offshoreonly from time to time but I am not sure if it ever materialized.

jwright
12-02-2001, 09:54 PM
I agree with everything in CDMA's post, and I have 1976 GT-21 with a 280 TRS package (small block chevy).
I can add a few more things. It is major job to convert to Bravo. You will have to move the engine aft and rebuild the transom. Also, prop selection is bit more limited and parts will someday start to become rare. I have the Merc Trans with electric shift. It runs great but I dread the day when something breaks!
I think a TRS with a Borg Waner trans and mechanical shift would be a good unit. You may have to update the Gimbal ring (mine may need it soon) but they should run aong time.

Forrest
12-03-2001, 02:29 PM
I think that I know where there are a few TRS electric shift motors at about $250 ea. :eek: I know, I bought one. Forget about having it rebuilt - no one can do it.

cummins
12-03-2001, 02:39 PM
Thanx very much guy's I take it the Borg Waner trans are easy to find should the trans go? Cost? So...for all intense and purposes lot's of part's? :D

BigGrizzly
12-03-2001, 09:36 PM
I have both trans the mercII and the borg. the borgis 5 1/2 inches longer than the Merc II which is 2 3/8 inches farther farvard then the bravo. The old H&M spacer moved the engine forward in the 18 to rival the borg trans. I have 698HP and easy on the acceleration and havn't had a problem. the good part of the mercII is it eill slipp the clutches before it scatters. As for slow My boat runs in the low 80's, Madpoddles in the mid 70's as well as Forrests boat. Me I would rather have the stronger lower unit than the extra 2->3 mph. Hydronamically it is as good as the old bravo not the new x series. BTW my MercII is the manual shift not the electric shift one. Forrest is wrong on fixing that trans, there are at least 3, maybe 4 people in the usa that will fix them LOL. Just so you know the Borg trans can be modified to over 1100 Hp. and is slower than the MercII trans.

Randy

cummins
12-04-2001, 08:23 PM
Thanx guy's the more info the better :D
I take it from this everyone is happy with the trs drives.

Randy what is 698hp ???? Sounds like fun. If the trans can take that kind of power...should have 0 problems being turned by 350's

Cummins

Forrest
12-05-2001, 09:09 AM
Griz, not the trans . . . it's the electric shift motor used on some TRS models that cannot be rebuilt. A number of folks can rebuild and upgrade the MercTrans - including BAM, the makers of Cyborge.