PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask here

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-02-2001, 08:12 PM
Here is a picture of the part I seek, my 502 has the long hose that goes through the bildge hole for oil draining.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy or order one? I need A and B. I will buy all 4 if need be.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellpg.jpg

Thanks, Bryan

BigGrizzly
12-03-2001, 08:06 PM
Brian, that plug can be had at any plumming stor or homedepo type outlet the cable is a fishing leder judt tal the 3/4 drain plug with a eye and go ror it. I don't do it that way I have a suction pump for the oil drain hose, abd mount it solid so it doesn't bounce around the hull. suction pumps can de had at Northern Handy man (AKA northern hydraulics)fot $27 for electric or the vaccume bottle from Overton's , also from Honda About $ 59 .

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-03-2001, 08:52 PM
Thanks Randy, Tony V from the factory contacted me and said he would work it, as a back-up plan I will start looking around the hardware stores. Worst case I lean in the engine comp and feed it through by hand, far from the end of the world, I just feel like I should have got one, just like a shipping cover, the ticket.
I used this drain from the bottom of the pan as my manual stated, in my eyes it was the deal, especially when you need a step ladder to climb in and out of the boat, I am sure a good fall will come soon before the addition is built around her! OUCH! It does drain slow though, 6 quarts was about an hour, no biggie though.

I have a manual pump which also worked well on the old boat, but you know me, read read read, and I read that if equipped with the bottom pan drain to use it.

Can't wait to see ya in KY, I will try to sit down and email you with the low down on how she preformed with the new K&N and prop, I know better to do one thing at a time so you know which to give credit to, but in this case she went out with both at once, I was very much impressed, it really did feel like a different boat coming to plane. I carefully documented data on RPM/GPS in 2 to 300 MPH increments.

I hope you and the family are well and I will try to maybe call ya this weekend.
What has been your main winter project since we talked last?

Lastly, HEY HARBORMASTER, here is another thanks for this great site! Especially in the off season for us in VA!
Bryan

RickR
12-03-2001, 09:40 PM
Bryan
Your going to have an awfull mess if you drain the oil into the bildge.
I use Jabsco Hand pump that screws onto the dipstick tube.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-03-2001, 09:42 PM
It does not drain to the bildge, there is a hose, 2 feet long that is off the bottom of the pan. I did not spill a drop in the yard or in the bilde, pull hose through, drop in jug and go watch TV!

It drains slow but is the deal in my eyes. It is on the newer 502's and 496's, in fact they come from the factory that way, un screw bildge plug, pul chain, hose appears and you off to the races.
I will post a picture this weekend.
Neat process.

BigGrizzly
12-03-2001, 10:06 PM
Bryan, Always heat the engine up before draining the oil. First to make the oil thinner, Second to suspend any particulate matter sitting in the bottom of the pan. This helps bring all the dirty oil out. Watch TV bull get crackin and clean up that boat, your NAVY you know.

Randy

roadtrip se
12-03-2001, 10:56 PM
Now you got me wondering if I have this hose and didn't know it. After all, our 502 is only a year old. Have to check it out. Sorry guys, but it is a real pain to sump the stuff up through the dipstick. Been doing it that way for years. Got to be a better way. Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-04-2001, 03:35 AM
Todd on my 502 when purchased the hose came up the right side of the rear or the engine through the tie wraps and laid on top of the engine, I had to un thread it. Page 62 of the manual talks about the mecahnic prep. Merc manual says you should not use the hose supplied if there is less than 1/2 inch to the botom of the boat. I have never been in a 22 Classic compartment yet.

GRIZ, I warmed her up to temp, I know allot debate that theory but the Merc book for my motor agrees with you. So I did.

Todd, I will sit down and email you today from work.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-06-2001, 01:37 PM
HEY ROADTRIP, did you look at yours yet?
Bryan

roadtrip se
12-06-2001, 02:42 PM
Bryan,

Getting ready for the big move this weekend out to our Possum Kingdom lake house, so I have been too busy to go by the storage locker and check.
I have printed this thread off and will be searching next time the beast sees sun light.
Thanks for the great tip!

Todd

mikev
12-06-2001, 03:49 PM
can you get a drain plug for an oil pan so that you can retrofit a system like that on an older boat. I drain mine with a pump through the dipstick but it always leaves about 1/2 quart in the pan. it would be nice to get all the oil out.