PDA

View Full Version : External Hydralic Steering...WHY???

oldLenny
10-13-2002, 12:25 AM
After reading sooo many posts regarding the fact that they "HAVE IT" why do they? Grizz, (Randy) also recently noted, as well as others, many, its' need in Hi-Po applications. Answer for me please, 'cuz I must have missed it, why do you need this set-up when a Bravo can be bought along-side a 502 in multiple applications and it does not exist?

And then, some have a twin ram set-up...(Roadtrip)

I must say the boats "feel solid" but what would they feel like at 80-ish without this system?

Why dual rams?

Grizz, why do you say the Grimes "Twister" (585HP) in the Python needs external steering? What will it gain, or how is it more driveable?

I have NEVER had the opportunity to compare these two scenarios and would love some input...

Thanx in advance...Lenny

HP 600SC
10-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Scott is exactly right, the reason I installed twin ram Latham external steering on my 22 (and it was no easy feat lots of measuring and re-engineering) is that the stock mercury setup is just not srtong enough to support speeds in excess of 80-85 MPH.
If it failed at that speed it could kill you!

riverrat
10-13-2002, 08:08 AM
Great reply's.. And the bottom line is you won't need to consider it on your new (old) 16 if you power it with a normal motor & drive. If it was my project I would look at a 5.0/alfa setup. that would be al the power you would need. you could even go with the 6 and be happy..

my 2 cents.. :D :D

Looped
10-13-2002, 02:54 PM
The angle at which the external steering is positioned allows the rams to have greater control (a true triangle is the strongest base). The internal steering arm (name?) that the stock steering has is much shorter, giving you a more acute angle for the ram to work harder and allow for more slack to be felt and for the drive itself to have a wiggle-waggle effect giving you the chinewalk.

I think I made sense?
Craig

Gritz
10-13-2002, 09:32 PM
My two cents,

It's all about leverage.

Internal = short lever and increased moment loading on the components such as bushings, bearings, etc. Not to mention the additional play if you throw in cables.

Externals = better angle for the moments plus the reduction in play for the mounting points and the stability of direct hydraulics.

Bottom line is, you lose any steering component with conventional steering, you have full right turn (with right hand drive) at whatever speed you are running and at speed the boat goes right (or left with a lefthander) and anything that's not tied down in the boat keeps going straight. And then if you are really unlucky and don't have a kill switch the boat comes back and plays a game of chicken with you.

I'm not near 70 MPH and I still shutter at the consequence. frown

Rodger
10-13-2002, 10:02 PM
While it is true that loosing your steering with a conventional steering setup is less than pleasant; the same is true if you loose your steering with a hydrolic setup. I've seen it happen on both types and the results are the same. Not nice. The hydrolic steering may be less likely to break though, and it does allow better control-especially noticable at high speed in choppy water.

GeneD
10-14-2002, 08:30 AM
Everyone made correct comments.
Rodger, I too have seen the result of blown hydraulic steering, and that is one of the reasons for twin rams. If one breaks, you always have the other.
What does NASA call it? Redundancy?

BigGrizzly
10-14-2002, 08:51 PM
I have off and missed the first post. I have twin rams and is the Imco set-up and it installed in less time than to take off the old power steering- about 3.5 hours. The Imco comes with a stick on template and only one measurement from the center pivoit on the side of the gimble. I used twin rams because it saves the ginble housing. It helps support the drive . Since it is a push push pull pull system if one line breaks you know it but gives ample time to slow down, With the stock power steering if the belt breals the boat dives to the left in a hurry so to me hydraulic is a safer option. If the belt comes off with the hydraulic its just hard to steer but doesn't yank the wheel out of your hand. Been there and done that-much rather take my X wife to diner than do that again.