PDA

View Full Version : Depressing Friday in Texas

oldboatguy
10-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Here's a sad, sad story for everyone....

While on the way home from a meeting with a client a few months ago, I took a detour through a small town. I looked up, and there was a Donzi 16 Ski Sporter sitting in a lot with about 5 old cars. I tracked down the boat's owner through the tax assessor's office, and was able to contact him. According to him, the boat is a 67 model - 302 Interceptor/ Volvo. It was supposed to be in solid, unmolested shape, although the deck had been separated from the hull to change the gas tank and the outdrive had been removed due to a bad bearing. Otherwise the boat was supposed to be totally complete and restorable. The price for this diamond in the rough was $750!

After a 3 1/2 hour drive to see it on Friday, I found that when the deck was lifted, instead of taking time to remove the steering and controls, they just cut the interior tub from the deck with a saw! According to the owner, it should just glass right back together! Also the outdrive, which had been removed, was also totally disassembled and left outside in the weather for about 4 years. Everything that was machined steel is now rust.

What a bummer. I've been in love with the Donzi's since I saw one for the first time.

Oh well, hopefully another will turn up eventually. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

penbroke
10-12-2002, 09:24 PM
There ought to be a law...

Frank

oldLenny
10-12-2002, 10:00 PM
..and THAT'S cause for alarm??? E-mail me the contact if you could please, name and phone number. I would like a pic or two. You get a "finders fee" if it works out...

I love driving to Texas :D and this time I have a good trailer... wink

Thanx, Lenny

Kong
10-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Really?? 750?? thats' still a hell of a price. The tub is not a problem and you can get an outdrive easily. In fact I have a 200AQ which came with my '67 (replaced w/280). Where is the boat located?? W/trailer?? Interior??

knee deep
10-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Where do I mail the check? eek!

oldboatguy
10-14-2002, 08:16 AM
Well, maybe I'm reading this boat wrong. I've been involved with auto restoration for a long time, and I've learned that there are some that you just walk away from no matter how optomistic you are. The thing that really scared me was the tub. I had visions of reglassing the tub to the deck, installing a new core, new gelcoat, and then a loud pop and a crack when you went through the first wave at the lake. Am I wrong on this? Has anyone had to deal with this before? Thanks for all your input!

Rootsy
10-14-2002, 09:47 AM
Lenny,

if you are REALLY interested i can get you an 18 with a 302 and a volvo that is already made into your LENZI models... i was there, checkbook in pocket.. when i walked in and saw it... they moved the deck and dash back a looong time ago so you sit in the rear seat BUT there is no step where the rear seat cushion goes so that has been ground away... the foot kick panels and center locker lip are still up under the dash and yu can clearly see where the tub andold dash USED to be.. the owner had no clue.. thought it came that way right from donzi... has an original donzi marine morse control, H-M exhaust manifolds and donzi marine chrome emblems... anyone is interested i can put you in contact with the owner... he was askin 2500 bucks.. but i am srue he could be talked down a bit... just more fiberglass work than i am willin to do...

so lenny... have an extra deck lying around????

and for 750 bucks i'll glass the tub back in noooo sweat and take my chances on a pop... that is a STEAL just about anyway you look at it...

Jamie

oldLenny
10-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Jamie, e-mail me a pic or two or the contact.
Michigan area is about what I am "used" to driving now distance wise...Yes, I have "decks" around. X ones tho.

And YES, $750 for that 16 is a steal, and worth the drive. If it were me I would re-glass it in, fill and fair it all, pop off a "mould" of it (a cheap cheezy one for one use , about $750 bucks worth) take my chances on the original one and be able to "whip up" a spare if need be. That's what I'd do...being in the land of none (well,...one :rolleyes: ) you have to be resource-ful as these don't go by that often...ever actually...