PDA

View Full Version : Rolls or Continental trailers...where in Texas?

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 09:29 AM
After talking to a couple folks in FLA this morning, and getting prices, it would seem that I can get an Aluminum trailer for the 16' for the same as I pay here (Victoria) for a galvanized run-of-the-mill one. I was quoted $1415 for the Rolls #1730 w/o brakes, $1890 with. It has a carrying capacity of 2780 pounds. In US dollars, I pay about $1400 here for a galvanized one and $1700 for one with brakes, still galvanized and steel.

I haven't found pricing yet on the Continental #SSTA1830 with brakes.

Where, can I find one of these trailers, on my route down through Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado then Texas?

RickR
07-20-2002, 09:43 AM
For Rolls check with Forrest for the dealer south of Tallahasse in Medart. That's as close as I can get.

harbormaster
07-20-2002, 11:21 AM
With a 16, I would not waste my money on brakes, I bought my trailer for my 18 without brakes and don't miss them. Have you checked into Loadmaster?

BERTRAM BOY
07-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Lenny,
I have to agree with Harbormaster..... no brakes. It's just one more thing that can break, especially if you're dipping them in the water all the time. Besides a 16 isn't that heavy.
I bought a Continental(SSTA2040) last May, and so far it has worked for me. No major problems, and it tows like a dream. 70 mph no problem.
The only thing that you might want to check into, is how easy it is to change the bearings on the Rolls, (just in case you fry one on the road). I know that they use a different lubrication system, I think it uses oil instead of conventional grease, but I'm not that familiar with it.
I'm sure Rigger has the answer you're looking for in that department.
Good Luck.....
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

BTW... I had to drive to Florida to get mine

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Haven't talked to Loadmaster. Wanted to get something that "everyone seems to be generally happy with" and "different". Aluminum and Stainless, and I can afford it?...definately the way to go as I will be towing vast distances to far away "countries" (AOTH).

Talked to the fella at Zinnermarine Scot, says he can make anything I want with 2 weeks lead time. I am not in a position to take my boat to him and have it "custom fitted". I would rather just buy the one others have that works great. Good point about the "high-end" lubrication sytem on the Rolls. I gotta keep things simple so I can have stuff fixed if need be locally. Makes me lean towards the Continental.

The fella at Zinnermarine said he could ground ship a new trailer to Houston, from Michigan, for $250. Sounds like a deal to me. Now if I can get a similar deal from Continental (or Rolls) I will be happy.

Doesn't appear to any "dealers" for the nice trailers...

Forrest,...comments or a dealer I can call?

Formula Jr
07-20-2002, 04:39 PM
I don't know @bout the br@kes. Lenny does live W@Y up @ hill. W@y, W@y up @ Hill......

harbormaster
07-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Lenny,
I bought my trailer and it was shipped up to Utica MI, and then Henry drove it to Ludington where he adjusted the bunks loaded the boat, and then drove the trailer and boat back. When it is made, tell them it is for a 16 foot donzi. We can then fine tune the bunks when it gets down here. Piece of cake.(american saying for you canooks :D ) Steve Zinner took very good care of me.

riverrat
07-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Lenny, What happened with McClain? I have an aluminum trailer with galv. axle standard bearings with bearing buddy grease fittings & double lip seals. you can get the parts anywhere as they are standard size. another thing to think about is the size of the wheels. don't buy anything with less than "14 wheels and I would also recomend radial tires. I think you would be better of getting one here in Houston that you know the boat is setup on than to chance hauling a trailer however many miles & hassling with transfering it and setting it up. my 2 cents

sd :D :D

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Riverrat. I didn't think I could afford an aluminum trailer !!!. Knowing that it is definately an option now, I want to look at all possibilities. McClains look nice. I am waiting for a price. Monday I guess, but I can't give up on Continental and Rolls, Zinnermarine and Loadmaster. I see there is a Loadmaster dealer in "Seabrook Texas", wherever that is. Blue water Aluminum boat trailers...I have e-mailed him.

RickR
07-20-2002, 06:44 PM
Lenny
Rolls dropped the oil filled bearing and went back to Posi Lube which I prefer.

I agree brakes are a pain but in the states they are required if over a certain GVW (Tennessee is 2500#s).

Jr says you live on a BIG hill. I cross a pass a few times a year (4000' vertical rise) and block off the Rolls brakes because they hold the truck back so much the pads have cracked. But I drive a 3/4 ton Diesel w/manual transmission so the truck holds back the 5000#s.

Rolls 21/60 for 18 Classic
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan18rolls18.jpg

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 06:55 PM
...now you're bringing back distant memories for me of "Genuine Risk". It took me two years to get over that! Back then I thought Tennesee was WAAAAYYYY too far to go. Well, since then, I have traveled that far close to twice on my "quest", still empty handed, but now the light at the end of the tunnel is a mere 2450 miles away from me... :rolleyes:

Rolls doesn't have a website in ANY SEARCH ENGINE/DOGPILE thingy that I can find. No "dealers" so to speak either,...are there? Where did yours come from for the 18 and do you have one now under the 22? Is it GOOD?

How do you call Rolls Axle?,...anyone.

RickR
07-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Rolls=1-888-ROLLS-52 (Dan Gallagher)
If you're driving to Houston what's another 500 miles eek!
The new "Genuine Risk" w/Rolls
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rickr22-01.jpg

Forrest
07-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Tallahassee is still a good ways from Houston, but like RickR said, our nearest Rolls dealer is Coastal Trailer and Hitch, 2551 Coastal Hwy (US 98), Medart, FL. (Ph. 850-984-0728). Also Lenny, if you end up out this way, we can put you up in a few miles from Medart in the beach house and give you a Donzi or Magnum ride out here in the land of high humidity.

oldLenny
07-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Forrest, thanks for the numbers and info. I'll call them on Monday and see what a "ground-ship" is worth to Houston.

Don't tempt me with the Magnum and Donzi rides pleeeeeeaaaasssee :rolleyes: I think after 8 hours of sleep and 2500 miles to Houston, any more, especially southeast, could be the "straw". ...but , yes, I am now thinking about that :D ...thanks for putting this new "bug" in my head :)

harbormaster
07-21-2002, 08:49 PM
my trailer was 2500 dollars delivered from Florida to Ludington Michigan. I cannot say enough about the trailer i got from Steve Zinner. at Zinner marine. They come from Florida. The aluminum diamond plate fenders look awesome. It is also one of the easiest trsilers i have found to get the boat onto. I just sight the bow up on the winch and when the boat touches the trailer, it just straightens up and goes on Pretty as you please!

You might want to stay away from the Loadmaster dealer in Seabrook. I heard that he may be having problems with money and Loadmaster. The Loadmaster trailers are nice but the people at the factory were rude. They were so backlogged they said It would take 5 weeks to build my trailer amd get it to Michigan.

oldLenny
07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Scot Van A...how come his website says he is from Utica Michigan?...when your trailer came from Florida? Your boat was in Michigan to start with wasn't it?

Did Zinner move and his website didn't?

Oh, and for anybody that thinks I am not learning anything here, I am getting a ROLLS, CONTINENTAL, staying away from LOADMASTER due to "extra" complications I don't need, or McCLAIN or ZINNER.

Getting close,..this week for sure.(I hope :rolleyes: )

Scot, is there a place I can put this thing, save and secure till I get there?