PDA

View Full Version : Red Donzi at Mackinaw Island

jwright
08-13-2001, 05:42 PM
I was in the harbor at Mackinaw Island on sunday and saw a red classic tied up at a restaurant. Is it anybody here? Wish I could have rafted off it! There is never any where to tie up out there.

Sagbay32
08-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Hey JW,
where did you put in to go to Mackinaw Island? I would like to go but am a little leary of going in my 18. I think I need more boat.

jwright
08-13-2001, 10:44 PM
I launched in Mackinaw City last weekend. Nice ramp but busy and limited parking, although they do have an over flow parking area down at the old state ferry dock. It is 7 miles to the island from there and you run through some pretty open water, the waves were steep two footers this weekend.
St. Ignace is closer to the island, and a little more sheltered on the way there (depending on wind). The ramp(s) are also are a little more relaxed with less congestion.
I have done it in my GT-21 many times. I had an 18 before this and can appeciate your concern, But if you going out on Lake Michigan, then you could run over there on the right day! I may try go out to the island again this fall and maybe even get a place to tie up.
I wonder if Riley up in Cedarville goes out there much?

Riley
08-14-2001, 07:50 AM
Hey jwright, you should have come over to Cedarville last weekend! We ended up having 38 boats (3 Donzi's) at our beach party. Way too much fun.

Yes I get to the Island on occasion, but the weather has to be pretty calm, and I never head over alone. Docking over there is always a problem, especially on the weekends.

How long was the red classic you saw? We have a couple of 22's running around over here in Les Cheneaux, as well as a red Z-33.
Let me know if you are up this way again, we'll get together for a beer and a burger.

Rootsy
08-14-2001, 10:00 AM
Riley,

Sorry i didn't make it this weekend i was ready to go i need a dang vacation i tell ya! i got my TBolt IV module and got home and damned if it didn't work cause i needed the 50 dollar harness to go with it... so i had to overnight that and ended up putting it together saturday and it runs like a champ... 58 1/2 mph with the mirage so far @ 4500 rpm. had to shut her down once she started chine walkin bad enough and i couldn't steer out of it... does that prop ever give me hull lift i feel like i am completely out of the water!!! I realized saturday that i messed up putting my intake on too... i put the gaskets on and didn't even realize the exhaust crossover wasnt blocked so my intake gets extremely HOT (burned my hand)... figured i'd bring that up in case anyone else is doin this swap... definitely cannot HELP performance any... but does it ever idle nice!!!! :rolleyes: guess i am entitled to one or two screw-ups along the way eh...

Riley
08-14-2001, 10:17 AM
Jamie, glad to hear the prop is working out for you. There are a few more weekends left in summer, maybe we can hook up yet. By the way, could you email me your address again? I lost everything on here and I want to send you the check for the carb linkage plate.