PDA

View Full Version : Luca Donzi sleeps with the fishes

Rob M
08-13-2001, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible for water to flow through the bilge outlet and down into the engine compartment of a Donzi 16. My boat was almost a diving novelty last weekend after I left it tied up unattended for a week with mooring whips, covered with a full mooring cover in a spot with nearly constant two foot+ wake and chop. The water that somehow gets in the bilge, combined with the constant wave action has tripped the bilge pump before, wearing out the battery. Same thing happened this time - only with more dire consequences - near severe water level in engine compartment (engine works fine but the trim reservoir must have took on water, as the cap vent streams hyd. fluid when trimming down). When I tied the boat in a protected spot with the auto bilge disengaged there was no leakage problem over a twelve hour period. Also, I have never had a water problem over the last three years when the boat has been tied in a calm area for over one week. I figured the leak has to be that the bilge outlet takes on water in breaking waves and also whenever the boat dips low enough through wave action. I notice that the bilge hose loops just before the outlet, could enough wave action bypass the loop? Is there a one way bilge fixture available on market (there should be). Anyone else had a similar problem with a 16? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BigGrizzly
08-13-2001, 09:35 PM
check the shift cable bellows ir if you have a volvo check the hose the shift cable is in. then the drive bellows.

Randy

Sagbay32
08-13-2001, 09:54 PM
I was just down at my neighbors watching him pull his Alpha becuse of a leaking bellows. Might be your problem, might not.
my $.02

Frank0
08-13-2001, 10:22 PM
If it is an Alpha it could be your flapper in the wishbone of the exhaust. I had a boat do that a few years ago and the flap was flapping open in the rough water and not closing. The problem is that it is behind the motor and the motor has to come out to fix. Hopefully it is something as easy as a bellows. I really doubt if it is the bilge hose. It could be any of the fittings that pass through the hull above the waterline when the boat is still but dip down in the waves. If you pull the boat out of the water and put a hose against them you should see water coming in if that is the problem. You also could fill your bilge with water and park on a hill and watch the back of the boat for water leaking out.

Good luck.

Moody Blu'
08-14-2001, 07:42 PM
WOW, that is really cool thinking!
and I quote:
"You also could fill your bilge with water and park on a hill and watch the back of the boat for water leaking out." :D :D :D

GeneD
08-14-2001, 10:41 PM
Rob,
These guys are slick and on the ball.
As far as the bilge pump hose leaking water into the bilge, I wonder...
But...DO check the main bellows where the drive shaft exits the transom. If you trimmed up when you docked, and the bellows was blown, water is going to leak in and drain your battery when the auto switch kicks in all night.
This has happened to 007 and it drove me nuts. I didn't dock overnight though. It took on alot of water right at the boat soda dock during the happy hour.
(Love that "boat soda" thing)

Rob M
08-16-2001, 07:16 AM
Thanks to all for the insight and advice. I'm thinking more and more that it's the bellows, and that the problem worsens when the engine is trimmed up full in that docking spot. I'm checking into it this weekend - in the meantime, it stays on the trailer. Thanks again to all!