PDA

View Full Version : picking up the Harbourmasters "old" boat..ideas?

oldLenny
07-19-2002, 10:01 PM
As it stands (this second), I will be driving down to Texas (Houston) with a buddy and meeting the 16 ski-sporter and Scot VanAlstine in late September, probably around the 27st and 29nd . I will have McClains Trailer (in Houston) fit a new one under her (as yet un-named) and drive away...(unless I can afford a Continental or otherwise Aluminum with the travelling savings) This will be an 8 day "whirlwind" tour. 2 1/2 down there(42 hours driving), VERY little sleep, play for 3 and drive back. Without the leg and motor it should only weigh about 1200 pounds plus the weight of the new trailer.

Anyone got any other ideas?...anyone going North from the Houston area in the next 2 months that wants gas money, free accomodation and a "perk"? By North, I mean at least 1000+ miles. I really want to see the area but also have "timelines" to contend with.

A delivery to Seattle area, if picked up by the fellow Scot used in his purchase of the 18' Classic from Michigan was quoted to me today at $2540 US. That's 3750.00 Can$. I, at this point would rather "see" some of this world that as yet I have not. Gas, return, to my house is about $650 US at about 15 miles per (your gallon). For $1900 more US I would rather "see" some stuff and have a quick vacation.

This could change at any moment due to business but right now I am "free" to play for a week around then.

Ideas, ideas, ideas???

Oh and FOREMOST HERE!!! Scot Van A, when are you considering the "Texas get together in "Possum Kingdom" or whatever? You said September 27-29. If I am coming that way anyway, maybe there would be a "spare truck" that is going from Houston to Fort Worth that wouldn't mind pulling something for 6 hours?...just a thought...I would love to meet a bunch of you there prior to my journey "home".

HP 600SC
07-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Lenny,
Dont forget that without the drive and the engine
that you will have much more tounge weight.
Keep that in mind for towing.
Oh and congrats on the new purchase!!!
Ted M.

oldLenny
07-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Ted, good point. Never thought of that... :rolleyes:

MOP
07-20-2002, 08:14 PM
I ditto the tongue wieght, have them put the axle forward and reset it when you get the boat together. I towed mine minus the engine in the rain front end got skippy in some of the turns almost lost it. Please get home Safe!

Formula Jr
07-21-2002, 12:28 AM
It isn't going to m@tter th@t much on @ motor home.
The tougue weight for @ l6 hull is nothing to worry @bout with @ny big tow vechile. Its 7% of the TOT@L weight if there w@s @n engine @nd drive. In other words 7% of @n int@ct 22 would exceed wh@t ever the tougue weight w@s of @n empty l6.

MOP
07-21-2002, 07:05 AM
What about stress on the hitch, tongue and cross bolt which has bent on mine.

Rootsy
07-21-2002, 08:12 AM
what the heck are you using for a hitch???? class III w/ a 2 inch ball and the correct pin size??? shearing a pin (which is experiencing double shear x 4) and bending things takes some extremely serious stress with a 2" setup, even more with a 2 1/2... holy wha...

Blewbyu
07-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Lenny-Couple of years ago I bought a Whaler in Los Angeles on Speculation, and had it shipped to Bellevue, Wa for $1000.00 incl insurance.Happened it came up on a flatbed,trailer and all.Had it done by a Trucking company in Oregon.6 days from phone call to delivery in Bellevue!1016 miles.Let me know if you would want to consider this company and I'll dig out the old paperwork.
Regards-Jeff