PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question ????

Greg Maier
10-10-2002, 09:27 PM
I see all these pictures of Donzi's on matching trailers with real nice paint jobs and mag wheels. I have a galvanized trailer that definitely isn't pretty. My question is, can galvanized trailers be painted to match the Donzi or am I stuck with the drab silver colored trailer forever? Are painted trailers only for fresh water and galvanized for saltwater, or does it matter?

Tomahawk
10-11-2002, 05:33 AM
I don't know about painting a galvanized trailer but don't ever put a painted trailer in salt water- unless you plan to sell it real soon. Mine looks nice but I could have used a galvanized trailer last weekend in Sarasota.

Craig
10-11-2002, 06:42 AM
Thats always been my understanding; pain't -ain't for salt. There's a reason people use them ugly trailers. Just kidding, I don't think they look bad. Add some nice wheels and they look pretty cool. I've wondered also about even an occassional trip to salty water with my painted trailer, but several have told me I shouldn't.

CDMA
10-11-2002, 06:50 AM
Yes a galvanized trailer can be painted to match the boat. Galvanizing actually is a prime candidate for painting due to its rough surface. However this rough surface will not let the paint be mirror smooth as some of the bare painted steel trailers we have seen.

Now this is really being pulled from the depths of my brain but I believe the appropriate way to prep it is with white vinegar. It actually reacts with the Galvanizing and neutralizes it. I think...

MOP
10-11-2002, 07:42 AM
I remembered getting galvanized gutters and waiting till the next spring before painting to let the surface season. Found link below that helps a bit.

http://www.sunwallpaperandpaint.com/galvanized.htm

Digger
10-11-2002, 08:01 AM
stick with galvanized. It will last longer and cause you far less headache. Especially if you ever put it in salt. Spend the hard earned on the boat. As long as the trailer is functional do you really care all that much how pretty it is?

olsta
10-11-2002, 08:37 AM
All this talk about galvonized trailers, what about aluminum trailers. I currently have a fishing boat on a galvanized trailer that we take to the coast. It obviously has held up well. But I also have a Donzi on an aluminum trailer that looks much nicer but also holds up to the saltwater on the coast. I have even seen people polish the aluminum trailers to dress them up a little. With chrome wheels and diamond plate fenders it is a very nice rig.

Greg Maier
10-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Digger,
I just have trailer envy when I see these pretty trailers. By the way, was that a USNA class ring on your hand in a picture that I saw of you a month or so ago?

MOP
10-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Our big galvanized hydraulic trailer was painted several years back still looks good with almost daily dipping in Salt. I think once the galvanize has had time to age it holds paint very well.

Dr. Dan
10-11-2002, 08:59 AM
Greg, It's really a matter of how important it is to you....There are many who have matching trailers and many who have the aluminum Rolls & Continnental, and others....Ours is Steel and Rusts like a mother....this year we re welded every thing and shot undercoating on the critical parts....but I am budgeting for a new trailer, with as much towing as we do...you can not overlook the mechanical fitness of what's towing your baby....Galvanized ain't pretty, but it is functional...A new Rolls Dressed for success is going to be in the low $3K range contingent on equipt. they are some of the best and very light, I am looking at a "Custom or Extreme Custom Trailer" for ours, which will add another $2K to that figure... :p because as we all know it is how good you look that matters :rolleyes: ...Doc P.S. Love the new Avitar! :D

Greg Maier
10-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Dr. Dan,
Thanks for the compliment on the avitar. I can thank my brother for making it for me, I don't have that kind of skill.

Digger
10-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Greg, I hear you. It is nice to see good looking trailers but for me it is a matter of functionality and priority. Functionality is most important to me. My first priority is the boat, and as long as the trailer works and I maintain it well, i.e. corrosion free/greased/etc thats all the attention it gets. Call me lazy but it's a big ass trailer and the idea of polishing the whole thing makes me laugh.

The ring is from Virginia Military Institute, circa 1987.

mattyboy
10-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Dan,
you tow all over the place and in salt or fresh water. what's your tow vehicle and what's the weight on the rig with all your goodies.
I've been toying with the idea of moving up to a 22 but that would mean all new tow vehicle and trailer. so I need to know what kind of vehicle
to look for
Thanks

Matt
cya at lake george next year

Dr. Dan
10-11-2002, 04:13 PM
:D Matty...Although we tow all over the place, I am a stickler for maintaining equipt. after and before any major function, we get all fluids checked and oil changed in both boat and Tow Vehicle...I make sure the Trailer bearings are greased(not too much,cuz that can bring problems too) and all rubber that meets the road is at the correct pressures....tire pressures are an often over looked part of not only trailering but driving in particular...I drive an average of 35,000 to 50,000 miles for my job + the fun Donzi mileage we add to that...and I am always amazed at the longevity I get from our tires both trailer and vehicle.... wink To answer your question our current Tow vehicle of choice is a 2002 Z71 Suburban, in Scott Pearson Black! :cool: The Z71 package offers a stiffer suspension package(good for towing)and higher ground clearance(good for launching)plus an assortment of Luxury Goodies which make the vehicle just plain obnoxiously comfortable,like leather,CD & SubWoofer + all the connections for kids to plug in their GameBoys or Walkmans., plus a 3rd seat + Cargo room to Haul back North from Florida, Gimbal Housings,Stainless Exhausts, Props and whatever other contraband Cliff had me haul back up here...and we still had plenty of room for Little Liz to sleep :D The price tags are very negotiable, we got ours for just under $38,000 and it listed for closer to $45,000. The only limiting factor is the engine is only offered(In the Z71 Package) at the 5300 level, no DuraMax, No Big Block...but to be honest, with the gearing and the "Tow Haul Mode" which you leave it in, we hit speeds that I won't mention here cuz it will ruin my slow poke towing reputation...The Burban is a great Tow Vehicle if you take care of it, and outfit it properly...ie. Tow Package,Trans Coolers...etc.,the Excursion is more stout and is available in deisel, but it does not have the "Long Term" resale that a clean Burban has...there are a ton of nice tow vehicles available currently.. eek! just remember there is no substitute for Horsepower/Torque and WheelBase and Mass(weight of Tow Vehicle)when it comes to Long Haul Towing...as I have discussed before, our 4 Runner and Lightning are closer to the 22 Classics weight, and at times, it would be a challenge to bring the GCVW under control in an emergency situation...Totally loaded with gear & fuel the boat is close to 4000lbs. the Suburban is in the 5300lbs. range dry...so it gets closer to 6000 with all of our goofy Donzi Gear! wink We have logged over 17,000 miles in the Burb this season since we acquired it in late June... eek! no complaints...I'd buy another tomorrow, the other decision /compromise for me in going for the Suburban was that altough we do tend to go to, too damn many of these Donzi Gigs, I drive with out the boat more than with it, so I needed a Jeckel & Hide kinda package, a 2500 or 3/4 ton vehicle would be way too stiff for driving to and from all of my sales calls...thats my logic and I am sticking to it :D ...Doc

mattyboy
10-11-2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dan

matt

Scott Pearson
10-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Aluminum and Galvinized can be painted. And yes they both can look smooth like a mirror finish. And yes...when preped right they can last a long time dipped in salt water. I have done them both. And no....you dont have to wait till the planets aline to do this....

(NJ)Scott

RPD
10-12-2002, 08:42 AM
My galvanized trailer is 26 years old and I do all my boating in saltwater. All I do is rinse it each time and grease it periodically. From the looks of it I think I should get at least 26 more years out of it.

Greg Maier
10-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Scott,
What is the proper way to prep a galvanized surface for painting. Can you go into detail?

mattyboy
10-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Greg

YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!!! :p :D :D
HOPE YOU PEN AND PAPER READY

Matt

David Ochs
10-12-2002, 10:30 AM
I learned this from a mechanical engineer and I don't specifically remember details. Painting over galvanizing will eliminate the galvinizations ability to repair itself since it is no longer exposed to oxygen. Thus losing its ability to check corrosion. In short, don't paint it.