PDA

View Full Version : Virus heads up

harbormaster
11-29-2001, 02:22 PM
A Virus called W32/BadTrans.B-mm was first detected by MessageLabs VirusEye on 23rd November 2001.

The virus picks a subject line from an email on the compromised PC, and prepends it with 'Re: ', thus appearing to be a reply to a genuine email.

The mail contains no message but has an attachment such as stuff.MP3.pif or info.DOC.scr

Under some circumstances, the email causes a pop up to appear inviting the user either to open or save the file before the attachment is identified.

If you see this pop up box, click cancel and delete the message from the inbox and from the deleted items folder.

In plain english: If you get an email message with a subject "re:" from someone you do not know, then delete it. Do not open it. Norton antivirus has a fix for it.

Looped
11-29-2001, 02:41 PM
I just got an email with the “RE:” from some Porsche restorer (Aaron Katz or something) not a clue who they were a couple of days ago with the 2 files stuff.MP3.pif & info.txt with nothing typed in the email. I tried to down load each file to see what they were and when I did they became shortcut MSDOS executable files. At that time I knew something was up so I deleted them and assumed that it was some type of virus. Thanks for the warning! :eek:

Craig

BERTRAM BOY
11-29-2001, 04:27 PM
I just got the same E-mail from "Aaron Katz". And just like you, there was nothing there, so I deleted it.....
BERTRAM BOY

Computer Illiterate.... Nowheres near Cuba

Looped
11-29-2001, 08:18 PM
BB,
This is the guys website that it came from:
http://www.flat6.com/

What's up with this guy and why is he sending this to us?

Craig

harbormaster
11-29-2001, 08:50 PM
Craig, he is not sending it to you. He was dumb enough to not have anti-virus protection with up-to-date virus definitions.
Once the worm infects his machine it sends out a copy of itself to all kinds of folks out there without the compute owner knowing about it..

Looped
11-29-2001, 09:10 PM
Scot,
Thanks again!

I just went to the McAfee website to pull down the latest SuperDat file (4.5m) for an update and you would never guess what bugger I found roaming around in my PC? If anyone is running McAfee 4.x or 5.x go to this site and pull down the latest virus-searching engine to clean up any newer viruses:

http://download.mcafee.com/updates/superDat.asp