PDA

View Full Version : Help. My boat keeps stalling

WBK96
08-11-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi, my boat is an 87 22 classic with 454 and it stalled 4 times on my way back from getting gas this morning. The place where I fuel it is about 5 min away. When it stalls it almost seems like someone switched the key off. There is no sputtering or anything like that. The boat did this a couple of times in the beginning of the season but it hasn’t done it since, until today. I have changed the fuel filter recently and had the carb rebuilt. The only other thing I can think of is that is cooler here today about 70 degrees and the last time it was this cool was in the beginning of the season.
Any one have any ideas about what is causing this?

Thanks,

Wes K Green Lake WI

Stix Magill
08-11-2001, 11:07 AM
Wes,

Check you kill switch for a loose connection. When this connection fails, it is as if the key was turned off.

Good luck,

Stix Magill

RickR
08-11-2001, 11:33 AM
I agree with stix. Merc's kill switch is very touchy.

Next I'd look at the ignition switch. Wiggle the key and the connections on the back.

If you have a alpha check the interrupter switch (and wires) on the shifter assembly.

When she quits check for voltage at the coil from the + pole to a good ground (not the - pole on the coil)

Moody Blu'
08-12-2001, 09:34 AM
maybe your gas station got some less than average gas? maybe yor carb got a little clogged from the gas? maybe your fuel pick up is clogged?(I know it would usually sputter first but ya never know)

turn your idle up a little ad see if it still does it.
if it does then maybe its the kill switch.
or a loose coil connection.(coroded) ;)

Tomahawk
08-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Wes - same here. Turned out to be a loose connection on one of the terminals on the ignition switch. If you've been messing around behind the dash, like I was, that's a good bet.

Scott Pearson
08-12-2001, 05:51 PM
Wes,
Could be worse...When I finished my 68 it wanted to start by itself. Just sitting there at the dock or on the trailer and it was like someone was turning the key on. Well, I thought it was the ignition switch (New) or the secondary solenoid (Not New). So I replaced both. It seemed fine until I put the boat in at Lake George for the Dust Off and guess what, The starter stayed engauged at the dock while warming up. Spun the guts right out of the starter. And that was NEW! Painted the same color as the boat...Really pissed me off! Also smoked the (NEW) Secondary Solenoid. Ran to Norwol marine got another NEW starter and its been fine ever since.

Made the Dust Off...The boat only had about 2 hours on her when this all happened.

So just some info...NEW dosent always mean NEW!

Any hoooo....Check the Secondary Solenoid...Maybe its bad or a loose conection. The coil feeds back to that. Im not sure if it would stall a boat. But, it sure as hell won't make it start if its bad.

Good Luck,
(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
08-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Wes I had an internal ignition switch problem, on my Corsican. My 1966 16 had a teliflex tack that had a short in it, did the samwe thing. Think they don''t use thst tupe pf tack anymorte.

Randy

Sagbay32
08-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Same thing happened to my Dad's boat. It turned out to be a loose wire on the ignition switch. Good luck!