PDA

View Full Version : X-18 weight and trailer question

Ted S
11-28-2001, 05:16 PM
Can anybody tell me how much a '73 X-18 with a Chevy small block and a Alpha outdrive weighs? Also, which trailer handles better, a dual axle or a single axle?

Formula Jr
11-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Dual axle, the suspension is more supple so it will not sway. And with four tires, it is infinitly safer and there is less heat on the tires.

Dr. Dan
11-29-2001, 08:14 AM
T, I agree with the almighty Poodle! I find a dual axle will track better behind you as well, you want that puppy to follow you and not get fancy dancing around! We hauled down to Sarasota and back along with many other lunatics from across the country, almost all had a dual axle trailers...no problems. Good Luck, let us know what you decide?...Doc ;)

Blewbyu
12-05-2001, 11:34 PM
I sold the dual axle I got with the boat,and bought a single axle because I have to shove it around in very tight places most of the time.My sngl axle has a long tongue,and the wheels are mounted far back to leave about 150# tongue weight.It tracks like a bullet,and doesnt sway.Currently using bias ply trailer tires-going to radial ST's next year.DO NOT use cheapie radials on trailers-they're only 2 ply sidewalls and squirm/sway badly.Boat is 74 X-18/SBC/Volvo 270/290. :D :D :D

Blewbyu
12-05-2001, 11:40 PM
Forgot to mention-BUNKS FOR SURE!!!!!
Actually, if I was going to trailer LONG distances (i.e. 600 plus miles one way)I probably would go back to a dual axle-but definitely aluminum.The dualie steel numbers can weigh over 1000 lbs-and you waste a LOTTA GAS hauling that steel.My single axle alum w/torsion susp weighs 385 lbs.

Scott Pearson
12-06-2001, 06:15 AM
Ok....My 2 cents. I have a 18 and there is a Rolls Single Axle (Bunk) trailer that it ride upon. I would guess my 18 is about 2600-2700lbs with a full tank of fuel. The trailer is rated for 3500lbs. The trailer is all alum. and is 450lbs. For those of you who know me, You know when I want to get some where I want to get there quick with no problems. So my point is...I make it to Daytona Florida from Howell NJ in 15 hours with my "Single Axle Trailer" Doing about 80mph with not an once of sway. No Cathy on the other hand, When she is driving and I'm sleeping (Or trying to) she runs about 85-90mph with a "Single Axle Trailer"

So my point being...I dont buy all this crap about "Dual Axle Trailers" Being so great under 18 foot boats. 22's yes, but not 18's. First of all, If a trailer is rated for 4500lbs and and your boat only weights 2600lbs. Its going to beat the crap out of your boat and ride like S**T.

Ohhh...and the boat fits in my garage...

ok....now that I am all worked up over this....I gotta go to work.

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
12-06-2001, 05:56 PM
These are all valid points. I went nuts on my trailer and it sure paid off. I have a 4500 lb capacity tandem Rolls trailer. This actually is a custom Chris-capacity. I think 18 classics are the one of the hardest boats to properly size on a trailer. Too big for a single to little for a tandem. Realizing this I ordered the Rolls 6000 lb tandem and figured I would try it. Well as scot says it was in fact way too stiff. Forget hard on the boat it was hard on me. Sort of expecting this I already had a plan of attack. The rolls has a very different suspension. It is sort of along the lines of and old Austin Mini. It basically is a fulcrum that uses a sort of rubber grommet thing as a spring. This has a few intrinsic advantages to this. First of all it means my ENTIRE suspension is made of Aluminum so there are no rust issues ever. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Not to mention with a little inginuity it is adjustable. I pulled out my little rubber gromet thingies and proceded to calculate how much material would need to be removed to reduce the capacity. I proceded to sit in front of the drill press for a while and make my own custom rubber gromets with less capacity. I saw no engineering logic why this would not work and worst case scenario I just buy some new rubber block thingies. So I unstalled them and proceeded to drive to PA with the boat and back just for fun. What a sucess. The trailer follows me like a tandem yet cushions the boat like a single. This sure was a lot of work but in the end it really was a sucess. I towed over 1000 miles this summer and proceeded to take out my little block creation thingies in the fall for inspection. They look just like the day I made them.

Chris

P.S. Next is desiging a building a marine worthy electric brake set up similar to some of the new drums they are making for boat trailers to fit on Dan Gallagher's ( mr Rolls) wonderful stainless disc brakes. A lot harder than it sounds. This surge brake thing and me just don't like each other.

Scott Pearson
12-06-2001, 06:13 PM
ahhhh...I have seen Dual Axle trailes flip also...At 90mph If I lose a tire I hope the whole boat goes with it. Thats what they make insurance for. I have put over 7,000 miles on my Single axle trailer this past summer with out a problem. I think Chris has the right idea with the dual axles..He is an inventive little guy isn't he?

Garage....lets see I have a 3 car under my house that is 35 X 25. This then leads into my walkout basement (Thats where all the Harley Davidsons are parked) that 55 X 35. Putting plans together right now. (In fact I will be at the engineers office Friday morning) For a building off to the side of my house that will be 50 X 40 with a 50 X 40 game room above it. Should be nice when its done. Shooting for May to be finished.

Then I will start on my Bass Boat project.... :rolleyes:

(NJ)Scott

smokediver
12-07-2001, 03:48 PM
I have a single axle aluminum trailer for my 16. I change the bearings every year and use a high temp/high pressure grease. like the stuff that goes in the engine coupler fitting. i lost a tire just north of punta gorda , fl. pulling my 18 whaler on a single axle. i mean the tire and rim came off! it even went bye me . i had the boat lashed to the trailer and had no problems. i think i didnt tighten the lugnuts good enough. anyway a blow out isnt the end of the world, just be prepared. i have a spare hub w/bearings , lugnuts , and grease. hey scott, loosen up , decaf isnt so bad !