PDA

View Full Version : Unique Mods and Maiden Voyage Pics

tamburello
07-19-2002, 05:24 PM
This Donzi saga started a decade ago. I was on a retreat with some college friends on a beautiful Fall day in 1991 at Lake Michigan. The sky was cloudless and temps were in the 70s so I figured I'd go for one last swim of the season. I ran in to the water, dove into the waves, and hit my head on the bottom breaking my 4th cervical vertebra and bruising my spinal cord. Thankfully, the spinal cord wasn't entirely severed so I regained limited motion in my extremities as well as touch and hot and cold sensation throughout my body.

I had grown up in a family of sailboaters but a sailboat can be a pretty unstable ride so going sailing regularly on the family sailboat was looking questionable. I was going to have to find another means of aquatic recreational vehicle if I wanted to get back on the water. Thankfully, I inherited the recessive powerboat/gearhead gene so I was always dropping by Thunder Marine, the local Cigarette/Donzi/Fountain/Sonic dealer at the time.

On one visit to Thunder in the winter of 1995 I spotted a sexy new 18 classic for sale. It turned out that it was a '94 that hadn't sold for a year. I conned my dad into stopping by with me to check it out and we brainstormed that the gunnels were low enough so that a small hoist mounted to the trailer would be able to swing me over and in. Surprise, we bought it on faith that we could make something work to get me in it.

We had the boat, now to get me from out of my wheelchair and inside of the Donzi. First stop, my Uncle Ross Mack. Ross is a mechanical engineer that designs firehose nozzles for a living and runs a machine shop/fabricating shop in his spare time. He designed and fabricated a frame that bolts to the underside of the boat trailer on top of both sides of the frame are bolted two shop hoist bases. A small folding shop hoist can be inserted into the base on either side of the boat when needed and removed for launching. The system worked great, we towed the boat to the launch, put on the hoist, attached the hoist cable to a soft bosun seat I was wearing, craned me skyward, swung me over, dropped me into the seat, removed the hoist and launched.

Well, I was in the boat and having a blast flying around Lake Macatawa and Lake Michigan with my brother. However, I was jonesin' to get behind the wheel and try it out myself. Well, the ride in an 18 classic can be a bit rough when the water is stirred up as you all know. Whenever we were out my energy was entirely focused on bracing myself in the seat, holding on for dear life, and trying not to get ejected when my bro launched it off a swell.

So, for the first few seasons I was happy to ride shotgun while my brother Matt or my friend Erik drove. Last year things changed though. Erik was in Chicago with his new wife and Matt was in Washington state fighting forest fires. I had a hard time finding people I trusted that were available to drive the Donzi on the nice days that summer. So, I resolved to do some troubleshooting to get me into the driver seat.

The first problem was that the stock bucket seat just didn't provide the bolstering and support that I needed. After some research I settled on purchasing a Momo 1000 Lakes Evo racing seat with a four point harness. When the seat arrived we bolted on the Momo side-mount seat brackets, set them to the lowest height, took the slider bracket off of the stock seat, measured the holes in the slider and drilled a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum plate to interface between the two.

The seat worked great but due to the deep bucket and the thigh bolsters you have to sit with your legs straight out and your feet on the angled foot brace under the deck. I'm 6'4" so needless to say The steering wheel and throttle were too far away. Time to fix those problems and call in some outside help.

Dave at Motion Marine here in Holland was more than happy to help us troubleshoot the problem. To get the steering wheel closer we ordered a polished billet shaft extension. However, with the wheel jutting that far out it was impossible to drop me into the driver seat. An interface was subsequently fabricated to incorporate a Moroso quick-release steering wheel hub and that problem was soon abated. Now, I just slide in with my feet on either side of the column.

To get the throttles closer we decided to upgrade to Dual lever Gaffrig controls with the integrated trim. The stock starboard cockpit panel with the Quicksilver Commander 3000 control was removed and a newly fabricated side panel with an upholstered box for the Gaffrigs was installed.

The seat holds me tight as a glove and the throttles work like knives through butter. Everything worked like a charm the planning and problem solving all paid off and I am behind the wheel and out on the water!!

Special thanks to Ross, Dave, Dad and everyone else that helped out on this project. I am loving life in the driver's seat! You can check out all of the pics from the maiden voyage at :http://homepage.mac.com/jeffdykema/PhotoAlbum1.html

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeffdykema-03.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeffdykema-14.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeffdykema-09.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeffdykema-12.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jeffdykema-11.jpg

Gearhead99
07-19-2002, 05:51 PM
Great job. Looks like it came like that.

Have fun !!!!!!!!!

smoothie
07-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Way to go tamburello!!! You just can not stop the powers of owning and driving a high performance boat like a Donzi. :D

EricG
07-19-2002, 06:08 PM
Awesome!!! By far the best Donzi Story I've read on this page!!

Now, in addition to showing us the power of ingenuity...you've also finally proved one small little idea I've always had about the 18 - You can put Zero Effort Controls in one, and have it look Great!! Good job....

-EG

tmdog
07-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Good for you, young man, I'm happy for you. By the way, nice boat.

HP 600SC
07-19-2002, 06:33 PM
Tamburello, You are an inspiration to us all!!
Beautiful boat. I love the throttle/shifter mod.
Ted M.

bverd
07-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Great story... congratulations. Shows us again... where this is a will there is a way. --bverd

RickR
07-19-2002, 06:54 PM
AWESOME story!
Great mods! I've been out a few times that I would have liked to have your seat in my boat eek!

I met a paraplegic in Florida (from Michigan) who used to be a 18 Classic Donzi owner. He now has a beautiful 40 Fountain. I see him on the water all the time.

Good Luck with the new ride!!! :D

Formula Jr
07-19-2002, 09:20 PM
Man, that is a Great WriteUp.

Fantastic adaptation. Now if you could get that four point tyed into a scooter that locked down to the sole, and then installed some sort of permanent davit on the boat?...........

What the heck, you're already styling.

wink http://www.donzi.net/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

oldLenny
07-20-2002, 12:39 AM
Your story is absolute INSPIRATION . Great looks, great ideas and a real runner. Nice one!!!

Glad it all came together for you. :)

wonderful!!!

Bad-Tat
07-20-2002, 08:35 AM
Tam,
Great job on getting your ride!! Do you have the specs/plans for that side mount Gaffrig box? Really looks great!! Enjoy the ride!!!

Dr. Dan
07-20-2002, 08:56 AM
T, :D Very Cool :D Enjoy Yourself...way to go! :cool: ...Doc

RedDog
07-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Way to go - that is an awesome story. Hope to see you a Donzi meet sometime.

Send this story to Mike Miller at Donzi Marine - perfect write-up for their owners story web page section

harbormaster
07-20-2002, 11:17 AM
The story has been sent to Mike!

Dude you rock!

Keep us informed. Hope to have at some of our functions.

Pacinda
07-20-2002, 05:22 PM
I have ALS also known as "Lou Gehrigs Disease" I like everything you did. I would like to do the same thing with my boat but I have a question. Where did you get the lift? I would like to get one for my boat.

Thankyou,
Mark

riverrat
07-21-2002, 06:39 AM
Great job!! enjoy yourself!

Life's too short to drive a slow boat! :D

HyperDonzi
07-21-2002, 08:33 PM
wow. that is surprising. yet one more reason to get a donzi :)
do you run while wearing those race harnesses?

Shanghied Again
07-21-2002, 09:40 PM
That really looks great! I wish you the best with the set up

CnV & Family
07-22-2002, 09:23 AM
All-right Tamburello!!! Awesome ride and mods! Enjoy!

-C

tamburello
07-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Wow!!! Thank you all for the wonderful responses. You guys are great! I hope to make it down to AOTH III so I can meet all of you and you can see this frankenstein Donzi in person.

Scot, thank you for submitting this story to Mike Miller and for running a great site and bringing this community together.

Pacinda, it’s been a while since I ordered that lift but I’ll dig around and find a supplier that has the same hoist. I’ll also shoot more pictures of the hoist frame and give you some specs. Expect an email soon.

Wbateman, I’ll talk to the guy that helped me with the throttle install and post some specs on the Gaffrig mounting box and more pics in the near future.

HyperBaja, yes I run with that four point harness on. It’s easy to pop out of should things go wrong and I’ve got an automatic self-inflating PFD on at all times as well.

Forrest
07-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Wow! Now that's the best story every told on Donzi.net! . . . What an aweson 18, especially with those cool cockpit upgrades. Wait 'till BIG BAD DONZI sees this one!! :cool:

MOP
07-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Gotta Say We Love You! All the very best, the boat is one hot item. There are alot of heads are buzzing with your cool ideas.

GEOO
07-22-2002, 09:01 PM
WOW Jeff,
Great job with the throttle and seat change. I know what you mean by support, I could use one of those seat's in my boat.
Don't let Chris see these pictures or he'll have a set of those seat's in his 22!!!
Great story ...

FARJR
07-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Awesome refit great thinking on your part keep the spirit going you are a visionary and inspiring person to all

CDMA
07-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Geoo,

Why have one when you can have 2?

mattyboy
07-23-2002, 08:11 AM
:) :) :)
what can I say!!!!
wonderful story
:D :D :D

Matt