PDA

View Full Version : Seat removal during layup?

Blewbyu
11-28-2001, 01:03 PM
Need feedback.
I have been removing my (white) seats during layup, and putting them overhead in the garage.Noticed that my piping is getting beatup around the bottom.
I have a good tight cover,and the boat is garaged.Is it ok to leave seats in the boat,under a cover,during winter?Do youse guys do it?I don't have the room in the house to keep the seats.Will they mildew?The cover is not currently vented.

Sam
11-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Use a product caled "no damp" or it's equivalent. Basicly it is water absorbing pellets in a plastic container. I use them during winter lay up on my big boat and they work great. You can also buy it at Home Depot in a larger size for a little less than the marine store.

Sam

Digger
11-28-2001, 03:46 PM
my rule of thumb is to remove everything that is not bolted down that could attract/retain moisture. cushions, life jackets, carpet, etc. also it sounds anal but dirt stores alot of moisture. a boat that is put into hibernation clean inside will come out better in the spring.

oh yeah, also: YES vent the cover

alljet
11-28-2001, 04:10 PM
All of the above is good advice. The worst thing is to keep an unvented cover on a boat(indoor or out). If the boat's inside, remove the cover and just drape a few cotton bedsheets over it to keep dust out. That way air circulates and the seats will dry out (if you have to keep them in the boat due to space limitations in the house).

Sam
11-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Just a thought, if you want a good light weight cover to be used indoors try a surplus parachute. I use one on my big boat that I store in an indoor cold storage building. I only wanted to cover the cockpit area so I used a 24' dia, I payed $70.00.

Sam