PDA

View Full Version : Q about drive shower in HotBoat

HyperDonzi
10-10-2002, 11:27 AM
October 2002 issue of Hot Boat has a drive shower in the refrence directory. There is 2 shown, 1 will give 50 deg cooling for 120 and the other will give 60 deg cooling for 140. The reason for this post, I'm just wondering how it can pick up water if none can get out. Looking at the pic will help you figure out the question more, but it is just a piece of metal tubing that bends around the upper part of the drive but there are 2 intakes right past the prop.

HyperDonzi
10-10-2002, 11:44 AM
It is the Halo Drive Shower.

Go to www.driveshowers.com (http://www.driveshowers.com)
then scroll down to "click here to see Halo drive showers at work (1gph @ 45mph)"

Ranman
10-10-2002, 12:30 PM
Hyper, The Simrek drive showers have "dump ports" on them. There are like 11 holes drilled through the tubing on the inside that spray the drive with water that is picked up by the pick-up ports near the prop. The halo will cool a drive better with 11 dump ports vs. the Summit with 7 or 9 dump ports.

Digger
10-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Tommy the upper part of the shower that goes around the upper gearcase is ported in 5 or 6 places, (dont remember how many even though I have those particular showers) directing the water onto the gearcase.

HyperDonzi
10-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Now it all makes sense. Which one is a better buy? 20$ more for 10 deg? you can never bo too careful i guess.

Ranman
10-10-2002, 01:49 PM
The Halo only fits a Bravo One and it the best choice for a Bravo drive. The Summit model will fit the Alpha and Bravo. Bottom line is Alpha = Summit, Bravo = Halo.

Lil Grizz
10-10-2002, 02:14 PM
As far as the Simrek being the best choice for a drive shower I would disagree. Any common drive shower works to reduce heat from what I have learned. They all are effective at what they do and since price is pretty similar among the brands it comes down to reliability IMO to what makes one better than the other. I run a shower made by rex marine, it cost me about 90 bucks, and it is very similar to the simrek summit in its function. The reason I went with this brand over the simrek was because the water pickup is a braided hose that picks up off the cav-plate. That was a plus to me because at some point I could always reroute it to a constant water supply(sea pump). I dont plan on keeping this shower for long since it was only bought as an experiment. I wouldnt have this option with a simrek. I plan on stepping up to somthing more involved over the winter. I am not saying the simrek isnt a good shower but it is definately not the best. The showers that replace the top cap on the drive(some replace the other cap as well) and are fed by the sea pump are more effective at high speed when the drive is hottest. These showers also have a better control over where the water sprays than the simrek, the simrek gets turbulance when trimmed up. I have actually hung off the back of a simrek equiped boat and seen the water become a mist at higher speeds. higher X-dimensions add to this problem. If you look at the highly modded boats in magazines you will see that those guys are using the cap type showers. The simrek is a good shower for the price and ease of install and will reduce drive temps. If you are buying a shower just in case you you need one buy a simrek, if you are buying one because you actually need one go with the higher end designs.

HyperDonzi
10-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Hung off the back just to watch? That seems a bit odd but you learned something....