PDA

View Full Version : Steering at Idle ????

JimG205
07-19-2002, 05:14 PM
Need some advice guy's,bear with me this is my first donzi.When in forward gear at idle and up to about 1500 RPM's when the steering wheel is held straight the boat goes left of course and within twenty yards will veer back to the right but not on same track,wheel in same position.If you try correcting it seems to compound the problem.Once on plane and at cruise to high speed no problems noticed.Any advice to help me enjoy my 16 classic even more is appreciated.What a sweet ride! eek! eek! eek!

Cuda
07-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Every single engine I/O I have driven was like that. I think it's the nature of the beast. My wake looks like a corkscrew when going through an idle zone.

Gearhead99
07-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Just a typical single screw outdrive. A straight inboard doesn't do all the wandering.

If you have trim tabs, put them down. This will help alot.

If not......just drink alot, no one will tell the difference.

mattyboy
07-19-2002, 06:36 PM
it's called hunting, it's normal don't worry, you'll get it down with just alittle adjustment and you'll get to know the cycle of the switch you'll track true

Matt

Formula Jr
07-19-2002, 09:40 PM
If you need to be very precise you c@n @lso use the tilt tr@iler setting, like in sh@llow running, if below l200 rpm.It will run str@ight.

Dr. Dan
07-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Jim, Equate it to torque steer sort of....as the revolutions of the prop propel you, you will notice it is self correcting...sort of wierd and disturbing, but a normal occurrance in a single screw at idle speeds! Once you're used to it, it's pretty neat! I've noticed the same characteristic in several boats,CDMA and the Engineers of Fluid Dynamics can expound from here! :p ...Doc

MOP
07-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Hi I have posted this several times, if you have trim tabs put them in the full down position the tail wag goes away you will track straight. I like alot have some very tight canals and docks leading to my favorite watering holes, with the tabs down everyone thinks I am sober! RLOL!

MOP
07-23-2002, 06:32 PM
If you have notice it does not happen on flat bottom boats you just cock the steering a little and it will run pretty straight almost endlessly. Years ago it was explained to me in this way, the prop walks to one side then the gearcase trys to kick it back staight it goes a little past and the cycle continues it has to do with the deep vee and the wash coming off the bottom. If you leave the steering alone it will wag forever. Put the tabs down it goes away, every so often I forget and punch it going out the canal and the boat gets weird.