PDA

View Full Version : Z Series Hull # Research

EricG
09-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, it's kind of a slow day so I thought I'd dig out my Z Series Hull Number Spreadsheet and see what I could figure out. I started out last year trying to figure out if the hull numbers "crossed" years (they do), and if I could figure out approximately how many of each hull they made. So, based on the small sample of Z boats in the Registry, here's what I found:

Z21's -
Earliest #024 - Made in April 1986
Latest #244 - Made in March 1989
I think we can then assume that around 250 Z21's were made total.

Z21 Bowriders -
Only 2 in the Registry #022 & #030 made in November of '86 and May of '87 Respectively...it's starting to look like these may be pretty rare. I don't suppose anyone could go get the hull number off of the one for sale in Sanford, FL that is advertised as a Hornet :rolleyes: ?

Z25 -
Earliest #003 - September 1985
Latest #232 - May of 1988
I'm now guessing that based on the fact that the latest boat in the registry is still pretty early in 1988 that this may actually be the most produced of the Z models.

Z29 -
Earliest #022 - Jan 1986
Latest #120 - May 1987
There are only 5 registered....come on Z29 folks...this is one of, if not, my favorite Donzi....register them please wink

Z33 -
Earliest #007 - I actually looked at this boat last year, I know if was manufactured in '85 - But I can't remember the month.
Latest #229 - June 1989 - 1990 model.
It looks like they kept making the Z33 even after they discontinued the other Z boats.

General observation - It looks like Donzi changed the HIN scheme between '86 and '87. The earlier boats are numbered as DMR25xxx, DMR29xxx, etc. Whereas later then started using DMRZAxxx for the 21 through DMRZExxx for the 33.

Overall, this may not be of any interest to anyone but me...but what can I say, I'm a geek :rolleyes: .

Owen,
I'll happily add this info to the Z boat stuff I already sent if you want.

EG

Formula Jr
09-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Very Cool Eric!!! See guys, this is what we're going to have to do to trace down the numbers we really want. There's no "Grand Poo Ba" thats going to waltz in and say, "This many of that were made." We have to do the leg work and appox, guess, and assume to figure it out. Then the real picture will eventually be distilled.

Great Work Eric. :D

Gritz
09-16-2002, 05:37 PM
Eric,
After our emails I started the same exercize. LOL
I also noticed the hull number change beginning July 87 which appeared to be accross the board.

One point I noticed. The oldest Z25 (hull 003) listed on the registry says May 86.

Brady, Michael 1986 25 - DMR25003I586 - OH, Niles, USA

Then 020, 026 & 030 also May 86. Then 085 shows June of 86. Must have been some busy people at the factory if they were turning out 40 or 50 hand laid Z25's a month. I do remember Robert Nelems remark on Donzimarine.com\owners spotlight that the 25's were produced in the new factory.
Hope we can shed some more light on the numbering scheme.
Will keep in touch.
Stan

EricG
09-16-2002, 06:36 PM
Stan,
After telling you in the email that I had been working on the Serial #'s, I figured I had better finish...I didn't dream that anyone else would want to mess with this stuff..... :D

Anyway I read the Serial Numbers slightly Different....DMR25003I586

DMR25 = Z25
003 = Hull Number
I = September - Month of Production (A=Jan through L=December)
5 = Year of Production 1985
86 = Model Year

I'm not sure where I read this method, but I'm sure it was here somewhere. That may shed a little more light on the production numbers per month. Then again, I could be wrong....

This is the kind of discussion that I love on this site. I think the reason I love researching this particular series (other than the fact that I own one) is that they are recent enough that information is availible, and they were produced for a relatively short time...so it's easy to put a start and end date to the era of these boats. The 16's, 18's and 22's seem like they would be a much larger research project.

EG

Donzigo
09-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Stan, you are right about everything except for your arithmatic......
A-Jan
B-Feb
C-Mar
D-April
E-May
F-June
G-July
H-August
I-SEPTEMBER.........not June

about the rest, you're in the pipeline, 5 by 5

I think we should list by every model, who has the earliest hull number and the latest.

I enjoyed readin you post. Very nice.

EricG
09-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Richard....I don't know what you are talking about wink I guess I got to typing faster than I was thinking....it's fixed now.

I agree...we need to do this for all of the registered boats....maybe it'll be a slow day again tomorrow...

EG

Gritz
09-17-2002, 12:51 AM
I was wondering what the hell that letter could represent.
Makes more sense to me that the production rate would be 10 or so Z25's per month. If you are correct then it appears to me that 003 was Sept 85, 020 & 026 were Nov 85, 030 was Dec 85 (my ultimate Christmas present that I didn't even know about :) ),085 in May of 86, 092 in June 86 and 110 in Aug of 86.
Stan