PDA

View Full Version : Suntain Lotion = Upholstery Stains

Scubado
08-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Does anyone else have this problem? Suntan lotion seems to really attract the dirt to the vinyl and it is a real bear to clean.

Is there a brand of suntan lotion that is better than others? What is the best way to clean up the mess?

Frank0
08-09-2001, 10:32 PM
I have this problem daily. I own a boat rental business and I am constantly having to clean the brown scum off of my seats. I use Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber cleaner/conditioner. It works well and helps protect from the sun at the same time. For the really hard to clean stains I use Superclean from Castrol. But if you use that you want to put the some sort of protectant or conditioner on right afterwards. It cleans a little too deep usually and makes the material kindof sticky. My boats are in the sun all day long for 3 months straight and the seats still look good after 3 years.

Scubado
08-10-2001, 10:09 AM
Thanks Frank,

How has the summer been up in Chelan? I heard you lost some firefighters up there this year, what a shame.

Anyone have any experience with defferent brands of tanning lotion? Just wondering if there is a product that will minimize this problem.

RickR
08-10-2001, 12:48 PM
The "BOSS" and I cover our seats with a large white towel. It's much more comfortable than the vinyl and keeps the seats clean.

DonziDave
08-10-2001, 07:16 PM
The white seats in my '86 18 are the original and still look great. Here's my tips.
1. Nobody is allowed on the boat with oil base or waterproof lotion. Oil base greases up everything and the waterproof has a petroleum (vasiline) base that is hell to clean off and really attracts dirt. I keep various SPF oil free lotions in the boat for everyone to use. At the end of the day, just a quick wipe down with a damp towel to get the sweat and ejected drinks off the seats and I'm good to go again.
2. Don't let the seats bake in the sun.
3. Don't let the seats get rained on.
4. Don't let anyone step in the seats.

Yeah - I'm a Nazi and I'm anal, but my seats look great!
Dave

Hardonzi
08-10-2001, 09:17 PM
It`s the tan accelerator lotions that are the worst..Because Im always in salt water I do a real thorough cleaning so no matter what they wear it comes clean,but no TAN ACCELERATOR it has a brown dye in it..