PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Oil Level??

penbroke
10-08-2002, 08:57 PM
I keep looking and looking for info on the proper outdrive oil fill level for Volvo drives and and I keep finding references to the dipstick on the top of the drive. My problem is that I don't have a dipstick there, just a screw plug. I do have a dipstick in the intermediate housing on the back of the drive about 3-4 in. above the cavitation plate which is horizontal when the drive is down.

The former owner said it is a 200B and to fill it in the raised position. Does this sound right to anyone??

confused,
Frank

MOP
10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
I measured down to the oil awhile back, there is about 1 3/4 from the top to the oil level. This is to allow for some exspansion.

mattyboy
10-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Penbroke,
I do see an Illustration in my 250 manual that shows the drive up and someone filling or draining the drive with a connection right above the cav plate??? looks out of place. maybe the early 200's are different, hope that helps I'd go by the dipstick have the clymer manual will see if it has the 200 in it

Matt

penbroke
10-08-2002, 09:47 PM
I have the Volvo Penta Workshop Manual for the Aquamatic 200 and even it shows the dipstick on the top. It calls the plug where my dipstick is "Oil filling plug" (big stainless socket head plug)

I'm used to outboards. Fill from the bottom 'till it comes out the top.

Frank
Owner of Donzi since last wednesday.

David Ochs
10-08-2002, 09:57 PM
An old Volvo guy at the dealer told me to put three quarts of 10-30 in it. That's what I've been doing for years, troublefree. However, with that much in, the dipstick(on top) reads overfilled.

mattyboy
10-09-2002, 07:10 AM
Penbroke
is there a drain screw on the bottom left side of the drive near the skeg?
there is a debate about what oil to use motor or 90w gear oil I switched to gear oil hi vis.
my manual has the following

1" extension 4.6 pints
4" extension 5.1 pints
8" extension 5.5 pints

David so 3 qts is to much

could it be possible that someone put the dipdtick in the wrong hole??? I would think the dipstick should be vertical with the drive in it's operating position
any 200 guys out there

Matt

MOP
10-09-2002, 07:31 AM
I looked up the dip stick plug its $27, I think you will be fine just getting close to 1-3/4. The Volvos have a oil pump that circulates the oil very well. The idea of filling with the drive tilted don't sound right, you may end up with an air pocket in the prop end of the lower besides the one that will be in the top housing. You could try it then measure after you lower it and let it settle.

rong
10-09-2002, 08:37 AM
I run 250's and I think the 200 series fill the same. After draining from the bottom with the outdrive down, you put the outdrive up and fill through the larger plug just above the cavitation plate on the back of the outdrive(a funnel helps).
This will allow most of the outdrive to be filled but not all. Then with the outdrive down, I check the level with the dipstick screw on the top. There should be a dipstick attached to that screw. The oil usually doesn't reach the dipstick yet. Then I add the rest though that small hole to get the right level. This is a bit of a pain as it is a slow process. Make sure you let it set a little to get a good reading on the stick. The good news is even in the water, you can check the level. If the drive is too close to the water, have someone sit on the bow. Three quarts is more then I use. Mine takes about 2.7 Qts. The problem with overfill, is if the oil expands, it could produce leaks. This is the 250 and has a larger plug where you say the dipstick is. This confuses me a bit because the fill plug above the cav plate on a 250 is larger then the top. Are yours the same size? If so the dipstick is in the wrong place. My H/M Manual says for 200 and 250 series. As for the oil, I would recommend at least 30W (dealer recommendation) but do a search in this board as there is new recommendation for 75/90W gear oil. I run 30w with no problem, but because of the age am considering the heaver oil.

mattyboy
10-09-2002, 09:02 AM
On my 250 I used a standard gear oilr pump from West's fits right in the drain plug on the bottom
with the drive down pump in 2!/2 qts or so sounds right
I'm changing my drive oil tonight I'll post pics
that might help

Matt

MOP
10-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Checked drive in shop again 1-3/4 is real close, rep does not think the heavy oil is a good thing and is definitly against synthetic. He likes 30 or 10-30.

BigGrizzly
10-09-2002, 06:13 PM
Volvo rep said 75 90 nfor V8 I have been doing this since 1968 in all my Volvos If you look at the newer ones that is what is called for and gears are made thw same way with the same clearence. Take your choice I hve over 4.000 on the 16 and no problems.

mattyboy
10-09-2002, 06:26 PM
ok I was gonna go the whole 9 yards here but I can't find the keys to the boat and can't drop the drive but maybe these pics can shed some light

here is the drain plug slot screw in the front
http://www.donzi.net/photos/mvdrive.jpg.jpg
here's the dipstick
http://www.donzi.net/photos/mvdrive1.jpg.jpg
I have to agree with Griz I used hi vis outdrive oil this season and it ran smoother .

hope this helps

Matt

penbroke
10-09-2002, 07:55 PM
I understand the drain on the bottom left and where the dipstick should be on the top. My top plug is just that, a plug screw only. No sign of ever having a dipstick attached to it. It didn't fall out or anything like that and it appears to be the original type screw. (Tall, rounded head with straight slot, Fillister head I think) The much larger plug on the back of the drive above the cavitation plate has an obvious dipstick on it. They are not interchangeable at all. This dipstick is horizontal when the drive is down.

By eyeballing the situation and looking at cutaway drawings of the drive, if I fill according to this dipstick the drive will have less oil in it than 1-3/4 in from the top as M.O.P. said. I agree that this will likely cause air pockets as well.

Has anyone ever seen the dipstick on the back??

Here is a photo of the drive.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg07.jpg

still confused
Frank
Owner of Donzi since last Wednesday
Hey it's been a whole week now!!

mattyboy
10-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Penbroke,
how bout this, I'll measure the length of my dipstick( I know it will be atleast 12 inches eek! :p smileybo ) I mean I will measure the dipstick and the full mark tommorrow and I'll give you the measurement and you can take a thin stick and try and take a vertical reading with the drive down, I still think the dipstick was lost and that's a replacement screw.

No 200 series guys out there??????????

Matt

penbroke
10-10-2002, 06:52 AM
Thanks Matt, that would be a big help.

rong
10-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Frank,
Any way we can get a picture of this dipstick for the archives, as this is different from most Volvo OD. Looks as though your OD pivots up further as the rubber stops are smaller, maybe allowing the reading from this hole?

penbroke
10-10-2002, 07:10 PM
I will fill my drive tomorrow according to my dipstick and then measure down from the top as suggested by M.O.P. and mattyboy, and post the results with photos.

BigGrizzly: Have you ever run across a drive with this type of dipstick?

Where can I find info on the different models of Volvo drives? 200, 250, 270, 280, etc? How to tell one from the other? Do they share parts, etc?

Frank

mattyboy
10-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Penbroke,
you can tell by the serial number it will be like 250xxxxxa b or c or d which tells you it's 250 a model or b plus some have a plate on the shift cover with 250 or 270 on it
sorry the pic didn't come out great but here it is
the dipstick is 6 1/2 inches long and the top of the fill mark is 1 1/2 inches from the bottom
http://www.donzi.net/photos/dipstickmv.jpg
hope this helps

Matt

rong
10-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Here is a start for Volvo-Penta Parts.
http://www.basicpower.com/toc2.htm
Some are common some are not. Seems u-joints, gasket kits, and some bushings are common and from what I can gather, a lot of other parts. I acquired a shop manual from W.A.R. Marine for a 250. It has a complete parts drawing break down. Do a search for Volvo-Penta online and it comes up with many sources. Some catalogs online, some smaller places that want you to call for quote. Part numbers are sometimes hard to find without the help of a dealer, but if you can circle it on the drawing the communication is much better. They also need your engine model. I'll post my drawings if you think it will help but it's for a 250 not a 200. :)

Tony
10-10-2002, 10:13 PM
My outdrive, on my '67 16, is an "Eaton Yale & Towne, Inc. Interceptor Outboard Drive",
Serial # PZNRB211636.
It is basically a Volvo Aquamatic 200B, with a gear ratio of 1.59:1.

The Clymers Volvo Stern Drive Shop Manual, covering '68-'93, lists the capacity for the
100 and 200 series as 2 quarts,
for the 250 2.2 qts.,
and for the 270, 280, 290, SP and DP 2.8 qts.
("All capacities approximate")
Also...for the 100 and 200 series it says EP 90 gearcase lubricant,
and for all others "SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40
w/ a minimum API designation of SG".

In mine I used Redline "Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil" (synthetic)
for three years. This year, after rebuilding the engine,
the shop used a standard 90 weight,
next year I will go back to Redline.

In a hand-written note, in the original instruction booklet for this outdrive,
the owner wrote: "prior to 219752 use EP-90, after 219753 use MS SAE 10-30".
Also, in this same booklet, they give two different instructions for
checking and refilling the oil level.
Apparently...in early production models the dipstick is as Penbroke describes
(checked w/ the drive in the up position)
while in later production models it is on the top of the drive
(checked w/ the drive in the down position).
Mine is like the latter.

A while back a board member shared with me copies of two packets, both published by Eaton:
[1] "Eaton Marine Workshop Manual, Interceptor 200 Outboard Drive Unit"
[2] "Parts Catalog, Interceptor, Model OV-8-200 Drive Unit"
The workshop manual is very detailed regarding the reconditioning of this drive,
while the parts catalog corresponds exactly and has diagrams and part numbers.
So far (knock on wood) I haven't had to use either of these!

Lastly, I also have an original instruction book for the
Eaton "Interceptor" V-8's, Models 221/260/289. When I bought my boat it had recently
swapped the original 289 out for a 302,
so I also do not use or refer to this.

I would be glad to copy any of these documents, in part or entirity (except Clymers!),
if anyone is interested.
Just e-mail me and let me know what you want.

MOP
10-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Another good place for micro fische of Volvo and all the rest is http://hlsm.com/

BillG
10-11-2002, 10:33 AM
That is definetly a 200 drive. I have been running either a 200 or 250 for 30 years on my 18. There should be a dipstick under that center screw on the top. I also ran 90 wt gear oil for a lot of years and went to the Volvo recommended 30 wt. The shifting is smoother and the drive has experienced no ill effects from the lighter oil.
The shift cover on a 250 drive has raised edges, and the lower gear housing is larger.
Good luck
Bill G

penbroke
10-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Here is what I have learned:

1) If I fill my drive to the top line on my dipstick the oil level is 6" below the sealing surface of the top plug screw (where most have the dipstick). This is about 1" below where it should be according to mattyboy's photo and way below the 1-3/4" that M.O.P. said.

2) Filling from the oil fill on the rear of the drive is an excercise in frustration. Had to run it up and down many times to get the air out. I think I'll stick with my trusty pump from now on.

3) If you do fill from the back, pull the top plug/dipstick out to vent the air. It goes much faster.

4) When you drop the seal from the top plug, watch where it goes. You may need it later.

5) When you buy a boat and the seller says he has filled the drive with oil, check it anyway. It may be a quart and a half low. (no lectures, please)

6) The people on this board are a wealth of information and generosity.

Here is a photo of my odd dipstick.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg08.jpg

Frank

rong
10-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the photo. It does point out the variations Volvo went though and maybe some of the reasons. I think your right about the pump fill if you know the amount that's needed. I found the same filing from the back. Only fill the amount that goes in easily and then the rest from the top (if you think the back is frustrating try the top screw :rolleyes: ). I believe low oil in a Volvo is not as critical say as a merc because of the oil pump used in the drive. Wish all OD's used one! Overfill may be another story.