PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Jim Powell
07-18-2001, 08:34 AM
Need some advice.

The fuel gauge on my 1998 22 Classic stopped working late last fall. I have checked the gauge and wiring harness and they seem to be OK. So, I am assuming that the sending unit has gone bad. If this is correct, here is my problem: I can get to the sending unit via the deck storage area through a round access port for the fuel shut-off valve. The only problem is that the sending unit is off-set by 4-5 inches from the access port and there is limited space under the deck. Even if I can get the mounting screws out, I have serious doubts that I can get the old unit out or a new unit in via the access port. The only solution I can think of is to cut away a portion of the decking around the acess port to get a strait shot at the unit. I really don't want to go to this extream, but I can't see any other options if I want a working fuel gauge.

Anyone out there had to deal with this situation or can you offer any advice.

Thanks,

Jim

------------------

GeneD
07-18-2001, 08:44 AM
First, before you start cutting, check the sender by shorting out the wires. Take the sender wire off and ground it to the ground wire. Observe the fuel gauge, did it peg? If it didn't, the problem is in the gauge itself and not the sender.
If it does nothing, then you are going to have to figure out how to get that sender out without cutting anything. The factory would be the best source for info on that.
You did check the continuity on the wires going to/from the gauge right? Nothing broken?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Jim Powell
07-18-2001, 10:41 AM
GeneD,

Something I forgot to mention, the gauge registers empty when the ignition is off -- when the ignition is on the gauge registers "full". A few weeks ago I did what you said (shorting out the wires) and the gauge pegs.

I have also done a visual inspection on the wiring harness -- I will double check continuity tonight. I also posted this question to the factory regarding removal of the unit.

Thanks for the advice.

JP

RickR
07-18-2001, 11:27 AM
She's going to be tough to get to. I had some irratic readings on my 22 due to loose connections but if she reads full all the time it sounds like a bad sender or stuck sender float.
You can gain a little more access to the sending unit by removing the trim ring of the deck plate.
Hopefully the sending unit can be manuvered around so you don't have to make a bigger hole.
Be very carefull tightening the machine screws that hold the sender down, it's easy to strip the aluminum. I seal the gasket with Hylomar (Permatex gasket sealer)

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>