PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Z25 decals and colour scheme

gmiller
07-18-2001, 04:54 AM
All

I'm just about to purchase a 1989 Z25 in the UK and am thinking about repainting the hull over the winter. It has several poorly repaired areas of cosmetic damage to the gel coat (presumably from being taken on/off the trailer in a hurry). It is currently part original gel coat and part painted. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I get original replacement decals from Donzi in the US and if so will they ship to the UK ? The appointed UK importers for Donzi were unhelpful with a capital U on this subject.

2. Does anyone know what the original factory colour scheme for this boat was ? Currently it has a white deck (original gel coat) with wide painted red stripe on the foredeck with painted black pinstripes either side. It has a painted red upper hull with a painted black pinstripe along the chine and a white lower hull (original gel coat). Some faded red gel coat is visible on the upper hull and foredeck stripe where the paint has chipped away so I think this is fairly original. Does this sound original ? I'll try and post some pictures at a later date.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

P.S. Any tips on preparing the hull and painting will be greatly appreciated.

EricG
07-18-2001, 10:28 AM
Congrats on the new boat!! It sounds like a fun project - and trust me, you'll definitely draw plenty of attention. As far as the original color scheme - look in the registry under Richard Aaron, he's got a Z25 that he restored that sounds like a very good model for your boat.

As far as the decals - I've seen a few sets show up in the Parts for Sale section, and I think the factory still has the decals from the late 80's....

Good luck - welcome to the group!

EG
1988 Z21

blue-z
07-18-2001, 04:36 PM
The beauty of gel coat is that it is so workable. Why paint over this vessel. 2000 grit wet paper and finish compounding is a beatiful thing. My z-25 looked horrid and came up superb. Touch up the gel coat (someone who knows the process), sand and rub it out. Save the money and buy a mooring cover to keep it pretty.

Steve Smith
07-18-2001, 04:47 PM
Any suggestions on where to find a mooring cover? I have a 1988 Z-25 and my current cover rips if I look at it wrong. HELP!

gmiller
07-19-2001, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. Unfortunately it looks like the sale is off. Just got the results of the oil analysis through and it's bad. High content of just about every metal in the engine. And the owner changed the oil just before I did the sea trial so he must have known something was up.

It's a shame because it was a lovely boat and they're quite rare in the UK. I'll have to start looking again.

Thanks

Gary