PDA

View Full Version : More water pours out right exhaust pipe than left?

WBK96
07-17-2001, 11:17 PM
I just noticed this the other day when letting it warm up a bit on the lift. The temperature also seems to be normal. What might cause this?

Thanks,
Wes

87 Classic 22 454 with an Alpha drive

Scott Pearson
07-18-2001, 08:28 AM
OK...this happens to me sometimes. Do you have internal Flappers on the tips? Sometimes when you rev the motor when its not in gear and once you let off it will pull one of the internal flaper in. Then the water will just trickel out. Temp will stay the same and more water will be running out the other side.

I have both, Internal flappers and Salsbury flappers on the outside.

Let me know how you make out.

(NJ)Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Pearson (edited 07-18-2001).]

GeneD
07-18-2001, 08:40 AM
For some unknown reason, and it's a mystery the world over that is as of yet unsolved...the Mercs tend to push water out of one pipe more than the other when on the hose.
If you are not overheating, don't give it another thought.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

WBK96
07-18-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the help. I feel better now knowing that it is normal. I will check out the flappers. I have external, I am not sure if I have internal. I will have to play with that this weekend.

Wes

MattM
07-19-2001, 10:21 AM
More water will flow out of the side with the least resistance. The hoses and fittings and internal passages may vary from one side to the other. As long as it's not a drastic difference don't worry about it. If you need to you can restrict the side that flows more a little.

blackhawk
07-19-2001, 04:58 PM
My boat was doing that and of course I thought the worst. Turned out that one of my internal flappers was missing and that side was letting more of a spray come out. I have both internal and external.